2015 CCRU Grand Final Results

August 27, 2015



Ourimbah                    27
Josefa Biu, Brett Cunningham, Rob Richardson tries;
Ryan Fenning 3 conversions, 2 penalty goals
Woy Woy                    20
Sam Soane, Jovesa Kunawave tries;
Sione Toki 1 penalty goal, 1 conversion
Daniel Campbell 1 penalty goal, 1 conversion


Ourimbah                    20
Nick Meyer, Anthony Eriksson tries;
Anthony Eriksson 2 penalty goals, 2 conversions
Gosford                       17
Bede Scott, Hayden Ford, Harvard Mau tries;
Sam Wainwright 1 conversion

Gosford                       21
Unuoi Vaenuku 2, Adam Clift tries;
Damien Montgomery 3 conversions
Woy Woy                    20
John Hickey 2, Solo Wainiqolo, Joel Weeks tries

UNDER 19’s
Ourimbah                    22
Blake Andrews, Owen Turner, Toby Carver tries;
Jayden Pearson 1 penalty goal, 2 conversions
Terrigal                        18
Bryce Davey 2 tries;
Joshua Bridge 1 conversion, 2 penalty goals


The Central Coast Grand Final at Morry Breen Oval saw Ourimbah win their first ever Premier 1 Major Premiership when they defeated Woy Woy in a thriller by 27 points to 20. In a match that was evenly balanced for the entire 80 minutes, it was Ourimbah who were able to hang on to record the history making Premiership.
The match opened up very evenly with both teams having chances to gain the advantage on the scoreboard. Both teams had periods of territorial advantage and also times when they had enough possession to secure vital points. After Ourimbah had missed an opening penalty kick at goal, it was not long before they did actually open the scoring. In the 10th minute their lock Josefa Biu crossed quite adjacent to the posts. The try followed a sustained period of attack by Ourimbah and the resultant forward surge saw Biu cross over for a good try. The conversion of the try by five-eight Ryan Fenning had taken Ourimbah to a 7 points to nil lead early in the match. Woy Woy were quite quick to reply in the 14th minute when their winger Daniel Campbell kicked a long range penalty of just under 50 metres to reduce the Ourimbah lead to 7-3. Play continued to see-saw in the match and both teams were creating several opportunities for points. Woy Woy took the lead in the match in the 21st minute when their prop Sam Soane crashed over for a good forwards try. This try put them in front 8-7 and the conversion by Campbell further increased their lead to 10 points to 7. There was absolutely nothing in the match and supporters from both teams were gripped by the match. Ourimbah levelled the scores in the 32nd minute when Ryan Fenning kicked a penalty goal to make the score 10 all with halftime looming. However it was Woy Woy who were to go to the lead right on halftime when their halfback Sione Toki kicked a penalty goal to put them in front by 13 points to 10. In such an evenly contested match every point was vital. Ourimbah had several very good preformers in the match at this point. Locks Tyler Jones and Josefa Biu were good with Tyler Jones in particular devastating in both defence and attack. They were wells supported by halfback Matt King who was always aggressive in attack and safe in defence. Their flankers Bradd Sheridan and Jarrod Grange were right in the middle of the action at all times, and Grange especially was putting in a very spirited effort.

The second half saw the match all squared up very early in the piece. Ourimbah were able to kick a penalty goal through Ryan Fenning in the 3rd minute of the second stanza to make the score 13 all. It was all shaping up for an enthralling final 40 minutes of rugby action. For the opening 5 or so minutes of the second half it was mainly Ourimbah on the attack, and then the game swung to Woy Woy who were able to control things from the 5th to 12th minute of the half. There were no points then scored for quite awhile but both teams had their chances to do so. Woy Woy had several players who were playing so well. Five-eight Fokolulu Taumololo was always dangerous with the ball in hand and always got over the advantage line. He was well supported by halfback Sione Toki, who was his usual dangerous self, and No.8 Tevita Tanginoa who was also very potent even though he spent 10 minutes in the sin bin. The game was turned around at the midway point of the half when Ourimbah halfback Matt King made an incisive 50 metre break before passing to supporting fullback Rob Richardson who raced a further 40 metres to score a wonderful try. This length of the field try turned the match. The conversion by Ryan Fenning had seen Ourimbah take a 20 points to 13 lead. Woy Woy knew then that they had to respond quickly and so they did. Just when it seemed Ourimbah had gained control it was Woy Woy who hit back with their own try soon after. The Woy Woy forwards mauled the ball forward close to the line before inside centre Jovesa Kunawave took the ball and scored the vital try. The conversion by Sione Toki had once again levelled the score at 20 all with the match going into the last quarter of the game. Nothing was added to scoreboard for either team for the next 10 minutes. Both teams tried everything to break the deadlock. It was the Ourimbah forwards who laid the foundation of their third and final try. A forward surge in the 33rd minute saw prop Brett Cunningham cross for the match deciding try. The conversion by Fenning took Ourimbah to a 27 points to 20 lead with time running out. The excitement at the ground was at fever pitch. Woy Woy tried to get back into the match. They attacked close to the line, had several scrums, took a scrum after being awarded penalty, but they just could not break the Ourimbah defence. Ourimbah were able to hang on to record the history making victory by 27 points to 20. Ourimbah had won the Minor and Major Premierships and the victory had capped a very good season for them.

Ourimbah defeated Gosford in the Premier 2 Grand Final by 20 points to 17. Ourimbah had the better of play for much of the first half and made most of the running. They led early by 13 points to nil and were controlling most of the play. They held most of the advantage in territory and possession. Despite these advantages they were unable to totally break away on the scoreboard. Gosford did score just prior to halftime to make the score at the break 13-5. Ourimbah continued to play the better rugby early in the second half and increased their lead to 20 points to 5 with time running out. Gosford however did finish strongly and started to play some good rugby. They were able to cross for two late tries but it all too late. Best players for Ourimbah were lock Steven Pike, flankers Keegan Evans and Jack Sheean, and outside centre Anthony Eriksson, who scored a personal tally of 15 points. Best for Gosford were No.8 Wes Bull and halfback Sam Underwood. It was another very close game between these two teams, but it was Ourimbah who won the Premiership.

In another close match, on a day of close scores, Gosford were able to win the President’s Cup Grand Final, defeating Woy Woy by 21 points to 20. The first half was a very even encounter with nothing between the two teams. Both teams scored a try in the half but it was Gosford who went to the halftime break leading by 7 points to 5. However the early period of the second half was all Gosford. They played some very good rugby and were able to go to a very handy 21 points to 5 lead after scoring two further tries. Just when it seemed the match was all wrapped up in their favour, Woy Woy stormed back into contention. They were able to cross for three late tries. All their tries were not converted. The final Woy Woy try was scored right on fulltime but the conversion of this try was charged down. It was a thrilling finish. Best players for Gosford were centre Unuoi Vaenuku, who scored 2 tries, No.8 Andrew Moseley, halfback Damien Montgomery and fullback Adam Clift. Woy Woy were best served by lock Luke Serevi, halfback Ben Nicholls, five -eight Dylan Hennessey, and winger John Hickey.

In an excellent game of Colts rugby Ourimbah defeated Terrigal in the Under 19 Grand Final by 22 points to 18. In what was an exciting game of rugby both teams gave it their all. Ourimbah did get away to the better start and by early in the second half they led by the very handy score of 22 points to 6. However Terrigal was not to be denied. They fought back and were almost able to grab victory on fulltime. The game finished with Terrigal on attack and desperate to get the try that would have secured victory. But it was not to be. Best for Ourimbah were halfback Toby Carver and No.8 Robert Peden, while for Terrigal five-eight Liam Baker and centre Bryce Davey put in very good performances.

Bendigo Bank
Gosford RSL
Star 104.5
Waratah Sports
Central Coast Express Advocate