Preliminary Final Results

September 9, 2018





Terrigal                       28
Ethan McInnes, Marc Koteczky, Dan Sargeant tries;
Marc Kotecsky 2 conversions, 3 penalty goals

Woy Woy                   10
Fokolulu Taumololo try;
Fokolulu Taumololo 1 conversion;
Alex Moore 1 penalty goal


The Lakes                   23
Ollie Harris, Luke Crowe tries;
Alec Herridge 2 conversions, 3 penalty goals

Terrigal                       16
Aaron Tait 3 penalty goals;
Penalty Try


The Entrance              24
Brad Pond, Tom Falconer, Ryan Dawkins tries;
Andrew Dankert 3 conversions, 1 penalty goal

The Lakes                   10
Saki Sevagone, Ben Kaifa tries

UNDER 19’s

Avoca Beach               36
Sebastian Eguia, Harry Layton, Liam Vanezis, Reece Piepers tries;
Reece Jacobs 2 penalty goals;
Reece Piepers 2 conversions, 2 penalty goals

Warnervale                 10
Nathan Kegg, Elijah Waqa tries


Avoca Beach               19
Inge Visser, Taylah Welsh, Elana Withnall tries;
Inge Visser 2 conversions

Terrigal                         5
Shenay Ball try

The Premier 1 Preliminary Final at Woy Woy Oval saw Terrigal proving too strong for Woy Woy, running out winners by 28 points to 10. In a match played under clearing skies, the first 15 minutes was a quite even struggle. Both teams had periods of ascendancy but then both had to defend vigorously at other times. Woy Woy did open the scoring in the 3rd minute when their winger Alex Moore kicked a penalty goal for Woy Woy to lead by 3 points to nil. However it did not take too long before Terrigal was able to respond. Five-eight Marc Koteczky made an excellent break to score adjacent to the posts. He converted his own try to take Terrigal to the lead by 7 points to 3. He quickly followed this up with a penalty goal and suddenly Terrigal had jumped to a handy 10 points to 3 lead. After what was a relatively even opening stage, it was Terrigal who then controlled much of the play from the 15th to the 30th minutes of the first half. They were on continual attack and putting the Woy Woy team to the test. They were rewarded for their efforts with a further try in the 23rd minute when fullback Dan Sargeant made a decisive run along touch to increase Terrigal’s lead to 15 points to 3. Woy Woy did hit back soon after this try with their only try of the match. An individual effort by fullback Fokolulu Taumololo saw a converted try reduce the Terrigal lead to 15 points to 10. Despite Terrigal doing much of the attacking in the first half the score was still very close and it was still anyone’s match. Terrigal did kick a second penalty goal right on halftime to see them go to the halftime break leading by 18 points to 10. It was a pleasing first half of Finals rugby. Best players for Terrigal were lock Alex Brewin, five eight Marc Koteczky, fullback Dan Sargeant and flanker Ryan Metcalfe. The second half opened with a further penalty goal to Terrigal’s Marc Koteczky and Terrigal had gone to a 21 points to 10 lead. The next 20 minutes saw no action on the scoreboard but plenty on the paddock. It was a physical clash, and some very heavy defence from both sides was witnessed. Everyone felt Woy Woy had to score next if they were to get back into the match. But it did not happen. In fact, in the 22nd minute of the second half Terrigal hooker Ethan McInnes capped off a fine performance with a try that had placed his side in a quite comfortable position, leading by 28 points to 10. There was no further scoring in the match. The remainder of the half was dominated by some good defence. The second half saw Terrigal keep Woy Woy scoreless while they themselves were able to post 10 invaluable points. Woy Woy tried everything to get back into the match, but it was simply not their day. Best for Woy Woy were fullback Fokolulu Taumololo, halfback Mitch Hyde, and flanker Blake Arahill. Terrigal continue on and have a rematch with Ourimbah in next Saturday’s Grand Final – this is replay of last week’s Major Semi-final and that Grand Final will be a hard fought encounter. Woy Woy finish up for the year but despite this loss can be well proud of their efforts this season in reaching the Preliminary Final.

The Lakes defeated Terrigal in Premier 2 when they won the Preliminary Final by 23 points to 16. The match was very even throughout and it did take both teams quite some time to gain any real ascendancy. It was 6 all at halftime with 2 penalty goals each with neither team able to break through for a try. It remained 9 all well into the second half before The Lakes scored 2 quick tries to take a good lead of 23 points to 9. Despite this lead Terrigal fought back hard, and a penalty try to them late in the match certainly made for a close and gripping final few minutes. The Lakes move into the Grand Final and meet Gosford next Saturday. Like the Premier 1 clash, it will be a repeat of the Major Semi-final.

In what proved a most even and dogged match, The Entrance won the President’s Cup Preliminary Final, defeating The Lakes by 24 points to 10. The Entrance got away to a great start with a converted try early on, and then was able to follow this up with a second try before halftime. The halftime lead of 17 points to nil was most handy but certainly not enough to ensure victory. However another try early in the second half, and a 24 points to nil lead well into the match, saw The Entrance secure the win. The Lakes did cross for two late tries but it was all too late for them. The Entrance goes in the Grand Final and will meet Ourimbah next Saturday.

In a display a great Finals rugby, Avoca Beach defeated Warnervale in the Under 19 Preliminary Final by 36 points to 10. It was an exciting match from start to finish and the skill level displayed by both teams was excellent. However Avoca Beach were proving the stronger team and by halftime had jumped to a 11 points to nil lead. They were even more dominant in the second stanza and were able to post a further 25 points in that half. Avoca Beach move into the Grand Final next Saturday and meet Minor Premiers Woy Woy in the big one.

The Women’s 7’s Preliminary Final saw Avoca Beach run out victors over Terrigal by 19 points to 5. A great first half by Avoca Beach saw them pile on 3 tries and 19 points for a match winning lead. Terrigal kept Avoca Beach scoreless in the second half and they also scored their own try on fulltime, but it was all too late for them. Avoca Beach meets Woy Woy in the Grand Final next Saturday in what should be an enthralling match.

GRAND FINAL next week

Woy Woy Oval             15th September    

9.55 am           Under 19’s                 Woy Woy    v. Avoca Beach

11.20 am           Women’s 7’s     Woy Woy    v. Avoca Beach

11.45 am           President’s Cup Ourimbah    v.   The Entrance

1.15 pm           Premier 2          Gosford      v.   The Lakes

3.00 pm           Premier 1          Ourimbah     v.   Terrigal