CCRU Grand Final Results

September 15, 2019




Terrigal                       76
Dan Sargeant 2, Jayden Woolley 2, Kevin McNamara, Josh Vainikolo, Elekana Laupola, Sekope Maea, Mitch Hirst, Brent Merritt, Arana Taumata tries;
Jayden Woolley 9 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Gosford                       21
Vince Stewart, Lenny van der Velde, Cullum Simpson tries;
Damien Montgomery 3 conversions


The Lakes                   37
Alec Herridge 2, Chad Goodhand, Jack Burden, Matt Langhein, John Symington tries;
Alec Herridge 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Ourimbah                    15
Finlay Johnson, Steve Pike tries;
Ryan Keegan 1 conversion, 1 penalty goal


Avoca Beach               18
Nick Rendall, Gerard Aldrick tries;
Brian Tritton 2 penalty goals;
Jono Hirst 1 conversion

Ourimbah                    17
Jim Holt try;
Jim Holt 3 penalty goals,
Ryan Fenning 1 field goal

UNDER 19’s

Avoca Beach               29
Ben Francis 3, Eden McQueen, Harry Layton tries;
Michael Houssenloge 2 conversions

Kariong                       22
Nick Outram 2, Justin Atkins, Sean Peruch tries;
Nick Outram 1 conversion


Terrigal                       19
Jade Sheridan 3 tries;
Jade Sheridan 2 conversions

Avoca Beach               10
Taylah Welsh, Elana Withnall tries


The Central Coast Rugby Union Grand Final at Woy Woy Oval saw Terrigal win the Premier 1 Premiership when they defeated Gosford by 76 points to 21. In a match played before a large crowd, the Grand Final proved to be one of the most lopsided contests in Central Coast Rugby Union history.

Played in fine and very warm conditions, both teams commenced the match with a display of very tight rugby in the opening few minutes. Terrigal opened the scoring with a penalty goal in the second minute but it was Gosford who crossed for the first try in the 9th minute. A fine run by centre Lenny van der Velde saw him cross for the opening converted try. However this 7 points to 3 lead was not to last very long. Terrigal quickly responded with their own try soon after and they in turn had regained the lead by 10 points to 7. The next few minutes of the Grand Final was quite even. Both teams had certain periods of attack. However it was at the midway point of the first half that things began to open up. Terrigal crossed for two quick tries at this time and suddenly had gained a very handy lead of 22 points to 7. Things were looking ominous for Gosford. From here on in Gosford had no real answer to the Terrigal onslaught. Terrigal were playing very structured rugby and both their forwards and their backs were combining well to be on the go forward and in control of the action in the match. Terrigal scored further tries in the first half and went to the halftime break leading by 34 points to 7. Even at this stage it appeared Terrigal were comfortably in control of the Premiership. They were proving most effective and they held the territorial and possession advantage. Best players for Terrigal were five-eight Jayden Woolley, who posted 28 individual points in the match and was controlling the action in the backline. He was very well supported by lock Josh Vainikolo, flanker Ethan McInnes, and prop Kevin McNamara. But it was the whole team who were playing well and were working closely as a unit for the entire 80 minutes. Terrigal continued to control things in the second stanza. They posted a further 42 points in that final 40 minutes to completely eliminate any chance of a Gosford comeback. Gosford tried hard but the harder they tried, things were just not going for them. Best for Gosford were lock Alex Corcoran, flanker Sean Anlezark and winger Cullum Simpson. It was certainly proving to be a most one sided contest. Terrigal proved quite clearly they were the best team on the Central Coast this year and fully deserved being Minor and Major Premiers for 2019. Gosford did exceptionally well to get to the Grand Final, having come from last position on the competition ladder last year. However they were to prove no match for Terrigal in this Grand Final. Terrigal had secured their third Premier 1 Premiership in the past four years.

The Lakes defeated Ourimbah in the Premier 2 Grand Final by 37 points to 15 to win their second successive Premiership in this grade. This encounter was an intense affair in the first half. Ourimbah got away to the better start, and with a converted try early on had jumped to a handy 7 points to nil lead. The Lakes got themselves right back into the match before halftime with two tries, and at the break the match was all locked up at 10 points apiece. The start of second half saw The Lakes slowly but surely gain the ascendancy. Throughout the second half The Lakes gradually increased their lead with some spectacular rugby and some great tries. They were able to post 27 points in the second half, and Ourimbah were only able to respond with a try right on fulltime. There were some great performances on the day, but the best came from fullback Alec Herridge, five-eight Tyler Johnson and lock Chad Goodhand. Best for Ourimbah were prop Steven Finlay, half back Connor Peden, and five-eight Ryan Keegan. The win to the The Lakes Premier 2 team capped off a wonderful season for the team from up north.

In a match played in warm conditions, the President’s Cup Grand Final proved a close struggle throughout with Avoca Beach defeating Ourimbah by 18 points to 17.There was nothing between these teams for the entire 70 minutes. Ourimbah went to the halftime break leading by the slender margin of 8 points to 6. The second half proved just as tight with scores locked at 11 points each midway through the second stanza. A penalty goal and a field goal saw Ourimbah go to the lead late in the match with time running out. However it was Avoca Beach who took the lead and the win right on fulltime. A try near the posts saw Ourimbah only leading by the single point but the conversion by fullback Jono Hirst saw Avoca Beach take the Premiership. Best for Avoca Beach were hooker Josh Meadham, five-eight Dylan Hardaker and fullback Jono Hirst. Best players for Ourimbah were prop Jim Holt, No.8 Nigel Kennedy and centre Mark Littlefield. Neither team deserved to lose this contest, but it was Avoca Beach who secured the President’s Cup.

Avoca Beach defeated Kariong in the Under 19 Grand Final by 29 points to 22. It was an intense, spirited contest in the first half. However neither team were able to gain control as the first half progressed. It was high scoring and at the midway stage of the first half the scores were locked at 12 all. Avoca Beach went to the lead just prior to halftime when they crossed for a converted try and this 19 points to 12 lead was a very handy lead for them at this stage. In fact this 7 point difference remained the situation until the fulltime whistle. It was 10 all in the second half and Kariong were unable to bridge the gap. It was a very good game of rugby but it was Avoca Beach who held on for the victory. Best for Avoca Beach on the day were centres Alex Halls and Michael Houssenloge, flanker Eden McQueen and five-eight Ben Francis, who crossed for 3 tries. Best efforts for Kariong came from flanker Nic Outram, No.8 Suli Hakalo and centres Adam and Sean Peruch. Kariong never stopped trying. It was the fourth successive Premiership in this grade for Avoca Beach, who were able to cap off some excellent late season form with this win.

Terrigal won the Women’s 7’s Grand Final when they defeated Avoca Beach by 19 points to 10. Terrigal completed a great season when they proved too strong for Avoca Beach. Terrigal went to the halftime break leading by 12 points to 5, and the Grand Final was still very much up for grabs at that stage. Both teams scored a further try in the second half but Terrigal held on for the victory.  Best players for Terrigal were Jade Sheridan, who scored all Terrigal’s points, with 3 tries and a conversion, and Prue Neely. Best for Avoca Beach were Taylah Welsh and Elana Withnall. Terrigal deserved the Premiership as they have been the standout team all year.