CCRU Major Semi Results

September 10, 2023



Razorbacks                  24
Jade Strongman, Toby Carver tries;
Ryan Fenning 4 penalty goals, 1 conversion

Avoca Beach               21
Liam Jenkins, Henry Parker tries;
Shaun Townsend 3 penalty goals, 1 conversion


Terrigal                        12
Blake Irwin, Jye Cornish tries;
Adam Danckert 1 conversion

Warnervale                    3
Sione Braxton 1 penalty goal


Terrigal                        29
Lewis Jeffrey 2, Campbell Gray, Todd Atkins, William Shipton, tries;
Talon Woodward 2 conversions

Avoca Beach               10
Jake Bradbury try;
Patrick Wheatley 1 penalty goal, 1 conversion


Razorbacks                  11
Luke West try;
Dane Allen 1 penalty goal;
Adam Williams 1 penalty goal

Terrigal                          9
Kai Wheelock 3 penalty goals

WOMEN’S 10’s

Avoca Beach               17
Grace Dabin, Millie Parker tries;
Jaida Staben 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Terrigal                        12
Shenay Ball, Sian George tries;
Mia Barber 1 conversion

The Premier 1 Major Semi-final saw the Razorbacks sneak home by 24 points to 21 in a thriller from start to finish. The match was played at twilight at Woy Woy Oval and it proved to be typical Finals rugby. The match went into extra time after scores were locked at 21 points apiece at the end of normal fulltime. The first half was a dour battle with neither team willing to give any favours to the opposition. The Razorbacks did open the scoring with two early penalty goals but it was not long before Avoca Beach responded with an opening try. At the midway point of the first half the Razorbacks led by 6 points to 5. It was intense struggle with plenty of action and considerable length of the field attack. At the 31st minute the Razorbacks crossed for their first try to increase their lead to 11 points to 5. However a late penalty goal in the first half to Avoca Beach reduced that lead. The Razorbacks went to the halftime break with a narrow 11 points to 8 lead, in a game of rugby that was developing into a real Finals nail biter. Avoca Beach had the better of the opening stages of the second half. They kicked another penalty goal, and then crossed for their second try to take the lead in the match by 18 points to 11. However the Razorbacks were not to be denied. They replied with their own converted try to lock up the scores at 18 points apiece with time running out. At the 35th minute the Razorbacks jumped ahead on the scoreboard with a penalty goal to lead by 21 points to 18. Just when it seemed they would hang on for victory Avoca Beach kicked their own penalty goal late in the half to square up the score at 21 points each. This was the fulltime score so the match went into extra time. These two halves of 10 minutes each were a real arm wrestle. No points were scored in this period until the very last seconds when Razorbacks fullback Ryan Fenning kicked a long range penalty goal on fulltime to clinch the match. Avoca Beach had lost their undefeated tag but live on to contest another day. Best players for the Razorbacks were prop Mackenzie Zammit, No.8 Lachlan Peruch, flanker Matt Martin, and fullback Ryan Fenning. Avoca Beach was best served by centre Alex Halls, halfback Mitch Magrath, and lock Matt Anderson. The Razorbacks go straight to the Grand Final at Industree Group Stadium in two weeks time, while Avoca Beach gets a second chance when they meet Terrigal in the Preliminary Final next Saturday at Woy Woy Oval.

In the Premier 1 elimination Minor Semi-final at Woy Woy Oval, Terrigal defeated Warnervale by 12 points to 3, in what proved a tight struggle from start to finish. This proved to be an intense and very exciting game of rugby. Terrigal definitely had the better of the opening minutes and they crossed for a converted try with the first two minutes of the opening whistle. It was the start they wanted. Both teams had periods of attack for the remainder of the first half but mainly to no avail in terms of scoring. Defence from both teams was excellent. Neither team was able to penetrate despite going close to scoring on several occasions. Terrigal put Warnervale under siege for much of the opening 20 minutes but other than the opening try, nothing occurred to move the scoreboard. Warnervale gradually got back into the match as the first half went on and were rewarded with a penalty goal late in the half. Terrigal went to the halftime break leading by 7 points to 3. Terrigal increased their lead early in the second half when they crossed for the second try in the 7th minute. This took Terrigal to a 12 points to 3 lead and that remained the score for the remainder of the contest. Warnervale certainly had their chances but it was just not to be. It was typical Finals rugby where both teams threw everything at each other for the entire 80 minutes. But it was Terrigal who survived the struggle and they continue on in the Finals Series next week. Best players for Terrigal were N.8 Salipopo Pamata, lock Macklan Collins and fullback Jayden Woolley. Warnervale’s best efforts were put in by No.8 Tevita Piukala, fullback Isaiah Niumata and hooker Hosea Fotukava. Terrigal will meet traditional rivals Avoca Beach in next week’s elimination Preliminary Final to see who continues on to the Grand Final.

Terrigal recorded a pleasing win in the Premier 2 Major Semi-final when they defeated Avoca Beach by 29 points to 10. Terrigal appeared to be in control for long periods of the match. They got away to a great start with an early try although Avoca Beach did respond quickly with their own converted try. The first half was very even and Terrigal went to the halftime break leading by only 12 points to 10. It was the second half that saw Terrigal take control and they scored 17 points to nil in that second half. Terrigal go straight to the Grand Final while Avoca Beach have to face the Razorbacks next Saturday in the Preliminary Final so see if they get another chance to take on Terrigal.

The Razorbacks was able to win the President’s Cup Major Semi-final defeating Terrigal by the narrow margin of 11 points to 9. The whole match was a very even affair and Terrigal only led by 6 points to 3 at the halftime break. The lone try of the match was scored by the Razorbacks in the second half and that was the deciding factor in the match. However it was late penalty goal to the Razorbacks after the fulltime hooter that secured the victory for the Razorbacks. The Razorbacks continue on to the Grand Final while Terrigal takes on Gosford/Kariong next Saturday in the Preliminary Final to see who goes to the big one.

The Women’s 10’s Major Semi-final saw Avoca Beach prove too strong for Terrigal and they ran out winners by 17 points to 12. This was a high standard game of women’s 10’s rugby and both teams gave it their all.  Play went from one end of the field to the other but it was Avoca Beach who controlled much of the first half and went to the halftime break leading by 10 points to nil. Terrigal outscored Avoca Beach in the second half by 12 points to 7 but that first half had cemented the win for Avoca Beach. Avoca Beach continues to the Grand Final in 2 weeks time while next Saturday, Terrigal play The Lakes in the Preliminary Final.

Preliminary Final next week …………………
Preliminary Final           Woy Woy Oval          16th September

11.00 am  President’s Cup         Terrigal       v.      Gosford/Kariong

12.30 pm    Premier 2             Avoca Beach        v.       Razorbacks

  2.10 pm    Women’s 10’s      Terrigal                v.       The Lakes

  3.15 pm    Premier 1             Avoca Beach         v.       Terrigal