CCRU Round 4 Results

May 5, 2019

SATURDAY, 4th MAY, 2019

PREMIER 1 (bonus points in brackets)

Ourimbah                    39 (1)
Trent Harrison, Brett Cunningham, Jack Sheean, Craig Thomas, Josh Holman, Jarrod Grange tries;
Jarrod Grange 3 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Avoca Beach               15
Mitchell Jacob 5 penalty goals

Kariong                       38 (1)
Phil Brown 2, James Keene, Justin Walker, Jake Hubbard, Salesi Manakafoa tries;
Scott Hanley 1 conversion;
Lachlan Peruch 2 penalty goals

Warnervale                 25
Atunisia Turagabeci, Ben Butler, Jacob Griffin tries;
Cameron McNamara 2 conversions, 2 penalty goals

Gosford                       46 (1)
Pepani Nabuliwaqa 2, Michael Jones 2, Jed Palmer 2, Jordan Franklin, Adam Carlisle tries;
Damien Montgomery 3 conversions

Hornsby                      32 (1)
Leone Naisaorotaboa, Ivan Satu, Andrew Taylor, Nathan Webb tries;
Sam White 3 conversions, 2 penalty goals

The Lakes                   40 (1)
Macui Raulini 2, Blake Dinham, Eddie Vuniwawa, Peni Raulini, Jerry Tikolemaipanoni tries;
Logan Hemopo 5 conversions

Woy Woy                   31 (1)
Veipuleki Siale 3, Matt Graham, Jack Dewar tries;
Damon Boxsell 3 conversions

PREMIER 2 (bonus points in brackets)
Ourimbah                    38 (1)  Avoca Beach     7
Kariong                       48 (1)  Warnervale     14
The Lakes                   24 (1)  Woy Woy         7
Gosford                       24 (1)  Hornsby          20 (1)

PRESIDENTS CUP (bonus points in brackets)
Ourimbah                    35 (1)  Avoca Beach     7
Kariong                       20 (1)  Warnervale       0
The Lakes                   68 (1)  Woy Woy       17
Terrigal                       13        The Entrance    3

COLTS (bonus points in brackets)
Kariong                       26 (1)  Terrigal           15
Avoca Beach               21        Gosford             0

WOMEN (bonus points in brackets)
Warnervale                 24 (1)  Kariong             7
Warnervale                 22 (1)  Kariong             0
Woy Woy                   20 (1)  The Lakes       10
Woy Woy                   24 (1)  The Lakes       12
Avoca Beach               39 (1)  Ourimbah        14
Avoca Beach               21        Ourimbah          0


The Central Coast Rugby Union competition on Saturday saw some of the most entertaining games of the season. All were high scoring clashes and most were evenly fought until the latter stages of each match.

The Match of the Day saw Ourimbah defeat Avoca Beach by 38 points to 15 at Ourimbah Rugby Park, The first half was a quite even struggle and neither team took control of the proceedings. Ourimbah led by only 20 points to 15 at the halftime break so the result was still very much up for grabs at that early stage. However Ourimbah did lead and were able to continue on for the victory in the second half. Ourimbah did score a total of 6 tries in the match in what, in the end, proved a quite convincing win. Avoca Beach were unable to cross for a try but were held up over the line on numerous occasions. They were kept in the match by some excellent goal kicking by Mitch Jacob. Best for Avoca Beach were Mitch Jacob, Fion Henderson-Foley, Liam Donsworth and Matt Kiddle. A feature of the Avoca Beach performance were the large number of junior players who are continuing to make their appearance in the top grade. It augurs well for the future. Ourimbah continued on their winning ways and are definitely stamping their authority on this competition. They have won 4 matches on the trot and all have been quite convincing. They are scoring tries and their opposition teams are finding it most difficult to defend against their pattern of play. Their best players were half back Josh Holman, who scored a try, prop Jordan Clark, and Jarrod Grange who posted a personal tally of 14 points. Ourimbah cemented their position at the top of the ladder while Avoca Beach maintained fourth spot despite the loss.

The match at Budgewoi was probably the most entertaining and exciting clash of the season so far. The Lakes scored late to secure a 40 points to 31 victory over Woy Woy at Slade Park. In a match which was played with plenty of action, it was also hard fought and played in great spirit, the lead in this match changed 6 times throughout the 80 minutes. The scoring started early. The Lakes crossed for a well worked try in the opening 5 minutes and this 5 points to nil lead remained the status quo for the first 20 minutes. That first quarter of the match saw some free flowing rugby with both teams taking their respective attacks from one end of the field to the other. The Woy Woy set piece was strong and was a feature of the match, while The Lakes’ outside backs were always dangerous with the ball in hand. At the 21st minute Woy Woy scored their first try in the match with a great forwards try to flanker Veipuleki Siale. Siale was outstanding in this match. He was strong and always dangerous, and his efforts resulted in him crossing for 3 tries. Woy Woy, soon after, scored their second try, and at the 24th minute had taken the lead in the clash by 12 points to 5. From this point on it was a try fest. The two teams basically went try for try for the remainder of the match. In the remaining 15 minutes of the half The Lakes were able to cross for 2 converted tries to Woy Woy’s single try. At the halftime break The Lakes had jumped to a narrow lead of 19 points to 17. There were some wonderful efforts in this match by numerous players. Woy Woy five-eight Wade Hannell was outstanding and had a great game directing his backline. He was very well supported by flanker Veipuleki Siale, half back Damon Boxsell, centre (and lineout jumper) Kane Burns, prop Luke Ingold and lock Jack Dewar. Best for The Lakes were fullback Macui Raulini, No.8 Peni Raulini, Blake Dinham and Eddie Vuniwawa. Woy Woy regained the lead again very early in the second half with a great try, but soon after it was The Lakes’ turn to take the lead. It was like this for the next 40 minutes. The first two tries, one each from either team, were posted in the first 6 minutes of the start of the second half. With under 15 minutes to go Woy Woy led by 31 points to 26 but even at that stage the crowd knew that the result was far from settled. The Lakes scored with time running out to lead 33 points to 31 and this score line remained the score until right on fulltime when the home team crossed for their final try to confirm the win. This was a great game of rugby played by two committed teams and in actual fact neither team deserved to lose. However it was The Lakes that got the victory and their first win of the season.

Kariong also posted their first win of the season when they defeated Warnervale at Kariong Oval by 38 points to 15. This clash was much closer than these scores indicate. The scores were locked at 15 points apiece at the half time break, so like most matches on the day, both teams knew they had realistic chance of gaining the victory in the second half. However it was Kariong who outlasted Warnervale and were able to outscore the visitors by 23 points to 10 in the second stanza. In fact it was only during the final 20 minutes that Kariong were able to secure the win when they crossed for several late tries. It was a pleasing win for the home side, being their first, and keeps them in touch with the leading teams. Warnervale played well. They gave it their all and for 65 minutes in the match they were very much in it. Best players for Warnervale were Brenton Acreman, Richie Houston and Cameron McNamara. Jacob Griffin and Ben Butler also put in good performances, and both were rewarded with a try each. Both these teams will push all other teams this year. Best for the home side were Jackson Beresford, Phil Brown, who scored 2 tries, Sone Taito and Salesi Manakafoa. Kariong, as stated above, were pleased with their effort and their first win, while Warnervale put last week’s disappointing result aside with a very good performance yesterday.

Gosford won their fourth match in a row when they accounted for Hornsby at Mark Taylor Oval by 46 points to 32. It was a high scoring match, and like the match above, it was not until the final 20 minutes that the result was finally determined. Gosford did score 8 tries to 4 and that may have been an indication of the flow of the match but both teams knew they were very much in the match until late in the clash. Gosford led at halftime by 17 points to 13 after a hard fought first half but were able to go on to outscore Hornsby by 29 points to 19 in the second half. Best for Gosford were Michael Jones, Adam Carlisle, while flanker Lepani Nabuliwaqa continued his great form for the club. Hornsby were best served by Sam White, Nathan Webb and Andrew Taylor. Hornsby would have been pleased to be home and their form has continued to get stronger and stronger as the season has progressed. Gosford, with the win, jump into second spot on the ladder, and their big clash with Terrigal next Saturday will be a highlight of the season so far.

In the President’s Cup, Terrigal played pleasing rugby to defeat The Entrance by 13 points to 3 at Joseph Banks Oval. There was nothing in this clash from start to finish. Terrigal led by 10 points to 3 at the halftime break and were only able to post a further single penalty goal in the second half to secure the win.

Women’s 7’s rugby saw last year’s Grand Finalists, Avoca Beach and Woy Woy, secure very good wins yesterday, while Warnervale turned their season around with good efforts against Kariong.