CCRU Round 5 Results

May 9, 2021

SATURDAY, 8th MAY, 2021


Terrigal                       34 (1)
Mitch Hirst 3, Frankie Webber, Elekana Laupola tries;
Adam Danckert 3 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Avoca Beach               15
Eden McQueen, Cameron Steer tries;
Sam Evans 1 penalty goal, 1 conversion

Hornsby                      22
Wes Faupula, Tuihakavalu Ika, Jack Vandersteen tries;
Sione Ala 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Razorbacks                 13
Matthew Martin try;
Jarrod Grange 1 conversion, 2 penalty goals

The Lakes                   21
Jaydan Nauluvula, Gable Gardiner, Peni Rauluni tries;
Logan Hemopo 3 conversions

Warnervale                   7
Ketoni Toutai try;
Matthew Hurley 1 conversion

Avoca Beach               29 (1)  Terrigal                       10
Razorbacks                 17        Hornsby                      10 (1)
The Lakes                   24 (1)  Warnervale                   0

Avoca Beach               24 (1)  Terrigal Blue               12
Hornsby                      22        Razorbacks                 21 (1)
The Lakes                   29 (1)  Terrigal White            12
Kariong                       46 (1)  The Bay                      10

Avoca Beach               15        Terrigal                       12 (1)
Hornsby                      32 (1)  Razorbacks                 12
Warnervale                 20 (1)  The Lakes                     5


In another gripping game of Swietelsky Premier 1 rugby, Terrigal defeated Avoca Beach at Heazlett Park by 34 points to 15. In an intense and physical game of rugby, Terrigal were able to finish the stronger to record the victory. The scores do not indicate the closeness of this contest and it was not until the final quarter of the match that the result was confirmed. Terrigal opened the scoring in the first few minutes of the match when five-eight Adam Danckert kicked a penalty goal. The opening stages of the match were fast and furious with both teams certainly making their mark on the match. Even in the early stages of the match players were certainly taking and giving some big hits with both teams so intent on getting the upper hand. It was not long before Avoca Beach squared the match in the 15th minute with their own penalty goal to make the score 3 all. However very soon after this it was Terrigal who regained the lead. They scored their first try after a brilliant run by Adam Danckert who passed to Frankie Webber to score the converted try. This was followed up soon after by another try when Terrigal posted their second try so suddenly the visitors had jumped to a very handy 17 points to 3 lead and things were looking ominous for the home side. Avoca Beach were not to be outdone however. In the period before halftime Avoca Beach responded with two tries in short succession to reduce the lead to 17 points to 15. This was to be the halftime score so the match was certainly up for grabs at that stage. It was a great first half of rugby, with the intensity there for all to see. Terrigal had several good players. Five-eight Adam Danckert was outstanding, despite taking a heavy knock early in the match. He was well supported by halfback Jye Cornish, and locks Joe Taylor and Will McDonald. Best for Avoca Beach were winger Cameron Steer, hooker Fion Henderson-Foley, inside centre Mitch Jacob and flanker Eden McQueen. The second half was very tight early on. Terrigal did cross for a try to extend their lead to 22 points to 15, but even at the midway point of this half this remained the score. It was in the final 20 minutes of the clash that Terrigal were able to surge ahead on the scoreboard and to secure the win. It was during this period that outside centre Mitch Hirst was able to cross for a further 2 tries to complete what was a great period of play for him and his team. Hirst crossed for a total of three tries in the match. Terrigal did outscore Avoca Beach by 17 points to nil in the second stanza and that was the obvious major difference in the match. Both teams showed they will be major forces in this year’s competition.

Hornsby hosted the Razorbacks at Woongarrah Oval No.2 after the closure of their home ground at Mark Taylor Oval. It proved a happy hunting ground for them as they were able to outlast the Razorbacks by 22 points to 13. The Razorbacks opened the scoring with a penalty goal to their flanker Jarrod Grange but it was Hornsby who scored the first try. The whole first half was a most even affair with both teams going point for point for much of the first 40 minutes. Hornsby led 7 points to 6 for quite awhile but by halftime the Razorbacks had regained the lead by the single point, by 13 points to 12. So it was obviously anyone’s match at that stage. The second half continued to be a real arm wrestle and both teams gave it their all. Best for Hornsby were flanker Sau Faupula, outside centre Harry Fox and No.8 and captain James McCarthy. The Razorbacks had several good performances including those from flanker Jarrod Grange, lock James Mann, centre Owen Turner and fullback Connor Peden. Hornsby were able to post 10 points in the second stanza while the Razorbacks were not able to post any further points in that period. The win is a boost for the Hornsby team and they have shown they are a threat again this year. The result of this match, and like several others recently, have proved that this year’s competition is a very even affair and no team can be taken lightly. It all makes for a very interesting season.

The Lakes defeated Warnervale at Woongarrah Oval No.1 to the tune of 21 points to 7. This match was an intense game throughout – a typical local derby between the two northern clubs. The Lakes had the better of the first half and went to the halftime break leading by 21 points to nil and it appeared they would go on with it on the scoreboard in the second period. But Warnervale came back strong and responded with a try early in the second half to make the score 21 points to 7. Midway through the second half a serious injury halted play to greatly disrupt the match. Best players for The Lakes were flanker Sean Anlezark, five-eight Brayden Hutchinson-Walters and No.8 Peni Rauluni. Warnervale never gave it in and it was prop Ketoni Toutai who scored their try and five-eight Matthew Hurley continued to direct very well for his team. Others to play well were flanker Joel Law, No.8 Leo Soane and lock Lachlan Natapu.

The Bay lost their President’s Cup clash with Kariong by 46 points to 10 at Kariong Oval yesterday.

Women’s Weekly Match Report: Round Five   8/05/2021
by Bronte Doorn

Hornsby               32           Ourimbah Razorbacks         12
Avoca Beach       15           Terrigal Trojans                     12
Warnervale          20            The Lakes                              5

A change of venue saw Hornsby host the Razorbacks at Warnervale. The Hornsby Nalas got off to a great start by scoring 3 tries in the first 6 minutes of the game, showcasing their speed and ball skills early. Razorbacks were strong through the middle, gaining momentum and metres, resulting in a runaway try by Ellie Dark in the 14th minute. The try was converted by Jaimi Elwin. The tough defensive efforts of both sides called for a much welcomed half-time break, with the Nala’s leading 15-7. The opening minutes of the second half saw the home team score a try under the posts. What followed was a tough contest for the ball, with both teams strong through the centre, making clutch tackles and turnovers. It wasn’t until the 33rd minute that the next points were scored. The Nalas took advantage of some great running metres and quick ball to score 3 unanswered tries in a row, scoring one particularly spectacular try off a kickoff and quick phases. Despite the score, the Razorbacks put up a fight right until the final whistle. They showed everyone what they do best in the dying minutes of the game by scoring under pressure. Phase after phase saw the away team get closer and closer to the Nalas defensive line. Working as a team The Razorbacks crossed the line in spectacular style, bringing the final score to 32-12. An exciting game to say the least. Hornsby will play a night game for round 6 at The Haven against the Terrigal Trojans. The Razorback woman will be heading back to the pig pen for a fiercely contested match against Kariong.

A spectacular game of rugby was played at Heazlett Park over the weekend, which saw a nail-biting finish! The Sharks outplayed the Trojans in an epic display of rugby, passion and pride. This was the game to watch, Avoca continuing their momentum from a brilliant win the week before against a Terrigal side itching to take the field after a few weeks off. It was clear both sides wanted the win, each player stepping up and playing hard. The Trojans were missing some of their senior players, meaning other girls were playing out of position. The Terrigal woman defended hard but unfortunately couldn’t reap the rewards as they were unable to score off a few breaks made by Maddy Robinson through Avoca’s strong defensive line in the first half. Avoca’s unwavering defense proved to be the key difference in the match, making clutch tackles and contesting all rucks. Emily Lufe was outstanding over the ball and in contact, turning over valuable balls for the visiting team. Avoca scored two tries in quick succession; making the 2020 Premiers play catch up. And catch up they did. 2 back-to-back tries put them back in front. The game could have been anyone’s and it wasn’t until the final two minutes that the game was decided. A close but missed tackle by Terrigal’s Bella Tisch saw Deanna Gray cross the line for Avoca, putting the Sharks ahead by 3 in the dying minutes. Avoca won 15 points to 12. Despite the loss, the Trojan women showed incredible strength and unity by wearing black armbands in solidarity to support a teammate through the passing of a family member. Avoca will head to Woy Woy for round 6 with the hopes of ending the home team’s winning streak, whereas Terrigal will be hosting Hornsby for a night game where they will be looking for a win against the strong Nala side.

The Battle of the North took place at Woongarah Oval, both sides looking for glory. The physicality of both sides made for an exciting contest. Both sides were matched through the middle, with scrums and lineouts proving particularly challenging. Warnervale Wildcats showcased some lovely passages of play that saw points being added to the board in their favour. While the score may favour the Wildcats, the Ladies of the Lake played well, displaying some excellent passages of rugby and teamwork.
The final score saw the Wildcats win against the Ladies of the Lake 20-5. Both sides will have a bye in round six, providing a well-earned week off. The supportive and positive attitudes displayed from both teams were what got the woman through the 40 minutes, with each team showing camaraderie on and off the field. Thus, proving that being best of the north, isn’t a title won on the field, but one shared off field.