Grand Final Results 2016

September 11, 2016



Terrigal             29
Ryan Metcalfe, Tom Lowe, Dan Sargeant, Alec Herridge tries;
Aaron Tait 1 penalty goal, 1 conversion;
Alec Herridge 2 conversions

Avoca Beach                19
Damon Boxsell, Julia Bacigalupo, Mitch Jacob tries;
Nathan Brown 2 conversions


Woy Woy                    20
Luke Meany 2, Mitch Hyde tries;
Jack Fletcher 1 penalty goal, 1 conversion

Avoca Beach                12
Brad Mitchell, Josh Parish tries;
Ash Roberts 1 conversion


Gosford                        20
John Jackson, Spencer peek tries;
Damien Montgomery 2 conversions, 2 penalty goals

Terrigal             12
Jono Small, Tim Walton tries;
Brent Mungovan 1 conversion

UNDER 19’s
Avoca Beach                22
Lachlan Peruch, Ben Harding, Tyler McManus tries;
Connor Kondrat 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Ourimbah                     17
Jonte Witt, Hayden Kendall, Jaydn Pearson tries;
Jayden Pearson 1 conversion

The Central Coast Rugby Union Grand Final at Woy Woy Oval saw Terrigal win the Premier 1 Premiership when they defeated Avoca Beach by 29 points to 19. In a match played before a record breaking crowd, Terrigal secured their first top grade Premiership since 2000.
Played in ideal sunny conditions, with a persistent north westerly breeze, both teams commenced with a display of very tight rugby in the opening 20 minutes. It was typical Grand Final rugby where no quarter was given or asked for. Both teams had periods of attack and then were very quickly on defence. Because of the intensity of the defence from both teams as well as the intensity of the event and the occasion, both teams were being forced into error. It was just what one would expect from Grand Final rugby. Woy Woy Oval was a picture – there was a massive crowd in attendance which surrounded the playing arena on both sides of the field. Generally the play was proving quite physical with some tough tackling taking place at the breakdown. Avoca Beach had the advantage of the slightly gusty breeze in the first half and they did make good use of it. Even though Avoca Beach did dominate territory and possession for much of the first half, they were not to be rewarded with points on the scoreboard. In fact was during one of these periods of Avoca Beach attack that a loose ball was scooped up by Terrigal prop Todd Atkins only 20 metres from his own try line. Atkins took it forward before passing it to flying winger Dan Sargeant who raced 70 metres to score. The conversion of this try by five-eight Aaron Tait had taken Terrigal to an opening lead of 7 points to nil at the 5 minute mark of the match. It was just the start that Terrigal wanted. However it was Avoca Beach again who were soon back onto the attack. But they simply could not post points. Terrigal went further ahead in the 24th minute when centre Tom Lowe took good ball from a maul to cross for their second try. Terrigal had jumped to a handy 12 points to nil lead. Finally, nearing halftime, Avoca Beach was rewarded with a good try. Following a strong scrum close to the line, halfback Damon Boxsell raced across for a try untouched. The conversion by fullback Nathan Brown had narrowed the score to 12 pointas to 7. Terrigal did receive a penalty goal right on halftime so they went to the halftime break leading by 15 points to 7. It was proving to be a most intense game of rugby. There were errors from both teams but it was the intensity of the match and the toughness of the defence that were forcing these. Both teams had some really good players. The standouts for Terrigal in the first half were prop Nathan Simpson, who was in everything at the breakdown. His fellow front row partner, hooker Ethan McInnes, was always there with him. These two players were certainly laying the foundation for the Terrigal team’s efforts up front. Others to play well were centre Mitch Hirst, flanker Sam Kenny and winger Dan Sargeant. Avoca Beach certainly had a very good first half and based on territory controlled may have deserved to lead in the match at that stage. Their best players for them were hooker Josh Meadham, flanker Chad Martin, halfback Damon Boxsell, and centre Matt Anderson. Terrigal jumped further ahead on the scoreboard early in the second half when they scored their third try in the 7th minute of the second half. Replacement back Alec Herridge made a strong run and scored a most effective try in the corner. A great conversion from near touch of his own try saw Terrigal hold a comfortable 22 points to 7 lead in the Grand Final. Just when it seemed that Terrigal were in control mode and just when it seemed the match was all but settled, suddenly the match leapt into action and excitement. Just 2 minutes after the Alec Herridge try, in the 9th minute, Avoca Beach five-eight Julian Bacigalupo charged down a Terrigal clearing kick, regathered and scored wide out. The very good conversion from near touch by Nathan Brown suddenly saw Avoca Beach back into the match with the score line Terrigal 22 Avoca Beach 14. Interest in the match turned to fever pitch very soon after this. Avoca Beach scored a second very quick try and suddenly the match was all up for grabs once again. At the 13th minute Avoca Beach winger Mitch Jacob finished off a backline move to score wide out. With the score in the match 22 points to 19, still with 25 minutes to go, the match was entering into a most exciting final 20 minutes. There was certainly extreme excitement around the ground, and there was not only a large amount of nervousness amongst the players, but also around the ground. There was no scoring for the next 15 minutes, with both teams throwing everything at each other in an attempt to get the breakthrough. Terrigal almost scored in the corner but the try was disallowed, and then Avoca Beach responded with a series of raids. It was in the 28th minute of the second half that there was some relief for Terrigal fans. Flanker Ryan Metcalfe followed up a maul close to the line to cross for a vital fourth try for his team. The conversion took Terrigal to a 10 point lead of 29 points to 19. There was to be no more scoring in the match but there was certainly plenty of excitement and action in those final 10 minutes. A Premiership was up for grabs. However the Terrigal team was able to hang on and win the 2016 Premier 1 Premiership with the 29 points to 19 victory. Terrigal had become Major Premiers, as well as Minor Premiers, to record what was a wonderful year for them. Both Terrigal and Avoca Beach had put on a classic Grand Final, and the 2016 Grand Final will go down as one of the great occasions in Central Coast Rugby.

Woy Woy defeated Avoca Beach in the Premier 2 Grand Final by 20 points to 12. This encounter was a most intense affair from start to finish. Woy Woy got away to the better start and led early when they scored a converted try. In fact these were the only points of the first half, and Woy Woy went to the halftime break leading by that 7 points to nil. Avoca Beach quickly responded at the start of the second half with a try to reduce the lead to 7-5 and the match was certainly proving intense. Avoca Beach in fact took the lead midway through the second half and at this time they led by 12 points to 10. It seemed that they had come from behind and were going on to victory. But Woy Woy had other ideas and two tries to them in the latter period of the match saw them gain the premiership by 20 points to 12. Woy Woy had several good performers but their standouts were centre Blake Arahil and No.8 Luke Meany, who crossed for 2 tries. Best for Avoca Beach were halfback Justin Staben and No.8 Tim Warwick. Like Terrigal in Premier 1, Woy Woy has secured their first Premier 2 Premiership since 2000.

In another close match, on a day of close scores, Gosford were able to win the President’s Cup Grand Final, defeating Terrigal by 20 points to 12. The first half was a very even encounter with nothing between the two teams. Both teams scored a try in the half but it was Gosford who went to the halftime break leading by 10 points to 5. The scores continued to remain close for much of the second half. In fact at the midway point of the second half, Gosford only led by the single point, by 13 points to 12 and at that stage it was still anybody’s Premiership. However a late try to Gosford lock John Jackson under the posts saw Gosford gain the win. It was a typical President’s Cup Grand Final. Best players for Gosford were centre Luke Redhead, halfback Spencer Peek and prop Karl Verhoef, while Terrigal were best served by five-eight Jono Small, centre Kris Diebert and fullback Declan Shepherd. Gosford had been able to secure their second successive Premiership in this grade.

In an excellent game of Colts rugby, Avoca Beach defeated Ourimbah in the Under 19 Grand Final by 22 points to 17. In what proved an upset victory, Avoca Beach was able to come from fourth spot on the competition ladder to grab the Premiership. Ourimbah had gone into the match as Minor Premiers but a wonderful effort by Avoca Beach on the day saw them frustrate Ourimbah out of a win. Avoca Beach led by 10 points to 5 at the halftime break but early in the second half had increased that lead to 17 points to 5. Even though Ourimbah continued to fight back, it was Avoca Beach who were able to hang on for the 22 points to 17 win. It was three tries apiece in the match but the goal kicking of Avoca Beach fullback Connor Kondrat that proved the difference. Best players for Avoca Beach were lock Lachlan Peruch, five-eight Sam Evans, and halfback Ben Harding, while for Ourimbah, Jayden Pearson, Nathan Gray and Alec Dark never stopped trying.

Star 104.5
Central Coast Express Advocate