Grand Final Results

September 16, 2018



Ourimbah                    21
Josefa Biu, Will Fraser, Owen Turner tries;
Jarrod Grange 3 conversions

Terrigal                       17
Jay Grogan, Dyon Williams, Dylan Calabria tries;
Marc Koteczky conversion


The Lakes                   23
Mark Tipple, Ben Garrett, Kane Dunkley tries;
Alec Herridge 1 conversion, 2 penalty goals

Gosford                       20
Wes Bull try; Penalty try;
Damien Montgomery 1 conversion, 2 penalty goals


Ourimbah                    20
Chris Smith 2, Adam Williams, Ryan Keegan tries

The Entrance                0

UNDER 19’s

Avoca Beach               23
Kye Blair, Michael Houssenloge tries;
Reece Piepers 2 conversions, 3 penalty goals

Woy Woy                     7
Nale Fanua try;
Ben Austine 1 conversion


Avoca Beach               17
Inge Visser, Jessie Jensen, Renee Staben tries;
Inge Visser 1 conversion

Woy Woy                     7
Aliyah Rodominski try;
Aliyah Rodominski 1 conversion


The Central Coast Rugby Union Grand Final at Woy Woy Oval saw Ourimbah win the Premier 1 Premiership when they defeated Terrigal by 21 points to 17. In a match played before a large crowd, Ourimbah added the Premiership to their Minor Premiership.

Played in fine and very warm conditions, with a consistent breeze, both teams commenced the match with a display of very tight rugby in the opening 10 minutes. It was typical Grand Final rugby where no quarter was given or asked for. Very little happened on the scoreboard during this period as both teams were putting each other to the complete test. Both teams did have some opportunity to post points but it was not to be until the 13th minute when Terrigal opened the scoring with a great try to prop Jay Grogan. The try followed up a strong forward surge by the entire Terrigal pack. This 5 nil scoreline remained the status quo on the scoreboard for the majority of the first half. Both teams had periods of attack but neither side was able to get that necessary breakthrough. Both teams were playing very well in what were abnormally warm conditions. Terrigal had the breeze at their backs and they were able to hold the ascendancy for a large part of the middle period of the first half. Terrigal were also getting a good flow of penalties but just could not add to their tally on the scoreboard. The set pieces were very even and if anything, the Terrigal scrum was matching it very well with a strong Ourimbah pack. It was not until the 33rd minute that Ourimbah were able to even things up when they crossed for a try, and then took the lead with the conversion. Their try also resulted from a strong forward surge when their prop Will Fraser crossed adjacent to the posts. The conversion by Jarrod Grange had taken Ourimbah to the lead by 7 points to 5. This remained the score at the halftime break so the Premiership was still very much up for grabs. The first half was certainly an arm wrestle. Both teams had some very strong performers. Ourimbah’s best players were halfback Matt King, who led from the front, and lock Josefa Biu. Others to play well were No.8 Rob Peden, and centres Jarrod Grange and Owen Turner. Terrigal were best served by their NSW Country representative player and five-eight Marc Kotecsky, lock Alex Brewin, halfback Sekope Maea, and fullback Dan Sargeant. Terrigal were straight away on the attack at the start of the second half. They were rewarded with a second try when winger Dyon Williams crossed in the corner in the 8th minute of the second stanza. This try followed an excellent backline movement headed by five-eight Marc Kotecsky. The conversion of this try took Terrigal to a 12 points to 7 lead in the match. The match was proving a very even, hard fought game of rugby – it was typical Grand Final rugby.  Things were starting to get anxious for both teams as they entered the last quarter of the match. It was around the 20 minute mark of the second half that things changed. In the 18th minute, big Ourimbah lock Josefa Biu finished a good backline movement for him to crash over for a converted try. This try took Ourimbah to the lead by 14 points to 12. They quickly followed this try with another, when in the 24th minute, centre Owen Turner scored a spectacular 50 metre try which went through several sets of hands. Suddenly Ourimbah had jumped to a handy 21 points to 12 lead in what had proved such a close contest. They were definitely in the ascendancy at that stage. However Terrigal were not to be denied. They responded with their own try, when in the 31st minute, centre Dylan Calabria crossed for a try wide out. With the scores now at Ourimbah 21 Terrigal 17, the struggle and intensity in the final 10 minutes was there for all to see. No further points were scored but there were chances for both sides. Ourimbah were able to hang on and at the final hooter had secured the Premier 1 Premiership. Both teams had crossed for three tries apiece in the match and this fact alone demonstrated the tightness of the entire Grand Final. It was a great Grand Final. It was a good performance by both teams but it was Ourimbah who were rewarded for being the dominant team in Premier 1 this year. It was their fourth win over Terrigal this year, and they richly deserved the Premiership. Ourimbah were Major Premiers in 2018.

The Lakes defeated Gosford in the Premier 2 Grand Final by 23 points to 20. This encounter was an intense affair from start to finish. The lead in the match chopped and changed right through to the very final stage of the second half. The Lakes got away to the better start, and with a penalty goal and a converted try had jumped to a handy 10 points to nil lead midway through the first half. Gosford got themselves right back into the match before halftime with a converted try, and at the break it was The Lakes leading by 10 points to 7. The start of second half saw Gosford gain the ascendancy, and with a penalty goal and a penalty try, had raced to a 17 points to 10 lead. It was proving such an intense contest and with the hot conditions, both teams were feeling the strain. The Lakes responded with two quick tries, while Gosford kicked a penalty goal, and suddenly the scores were locked at 20 points apiece with time running out. Both teams had some very good performers. Centre Mark Tipple was great for The Lakes, and he crossed for two very good tries. He was supported by strong performances from fullback Alec Herridge and prop Chad Goodhand. Best for Gosford were lock Wes Bull, No.8 Andrew Moseley and flanker Richie Cully. It was The Lakes who kicked a late penalty goal in the final minutes to fullback Alec Herridge to snatch the victory. The win to the The Lakes Premier 2 team capped off a wonderful season for the team from up north

In a match played in quite hot conditions, Ourimbah appeared to be always in control when they won the President’s Cup Grand Final, defeating The Entrance by 20 points to 0. Ourimbah showed too much experience for their rivals and were able to grind The Entrance into defeat. Ourimbah scored four tries to nil in the match and that was an accurate description of the flow of the entire match. Ourimbah posted two tries in each half in what proved a very consistent performance. Best players for Ourimbah were halfback Alex Lucas, No.8 Chris Smith, who crossed for 2 tries, and centre Mark Littlefield. The Entrance had a great season capped off with making the Grand Final. They came from fourth position but just could not get things to go their way on the day. Players such as flanker Joel Laws, five-eight Andrew Danckert and lock Thomas Falconer never stopped all day. The win by Ourimbah completed a very good day for the Ourimbah club with premierships in both Premier 1 and President’s Cup.

Avoca Beach defeated Woy Woy in the Under 19 Grand Final by 23 points to 7. It was an intense, spirited contest in the first half. However it was Avoca Beach who gradually gained control the further the first half progressed. Avoca Beach had jumped to a 10 points to nil lead at the halftime break and everything appeared to be going their way. Woy Woy did respond with their own converted try early in the second half and suddenly things grew more tense with the score 10 – 7 in favour of Avoca Beach. However the further the match went on, the more Avoca Beach gained the momentum. Avoca Beach were able to post 13 points in the final 20 minutes of the second half and this was enough to secure the Premiership. Best for Avoca Beach on the day were fullback Reece Piepers, lock Matt Peebles, halfback Kye Blair and centre Michael Houssenloge. Woy Woy never stopped trying. Their best players were lock Ben Austine and centre Tamani McInnes-Cama. It was the third successive Premiership in this grade for Avoca Beach, who were able to cap off some excellent late season form with this win.

Avoca Beach also won the Women’s 7’s Grand Final when they defeated Minor Premiers Woy Woy by 17 points to 7. Avoca Beach completed a great late season run when they proved too strong for Woy Woy. Avoca Beach went to the halftime break leading by 10 points to nil, and had all but secured the Premiership even at that stage. Avoca Beach crossed for a third try early in the second half and they then led by 17 points to 0. Woy Woy did score a late converted try but it was all too late. Best players for Avoca Beach were Jessie Jensen, Inge Visser and Renee Staben. Woy Woy were best served by Holly Johnstone and Aliyah Rodominski. Avoca Beach had won the first ever Women’s 7’s Premiership in Central Coast rugby after having won last 15’s Premiership in 2002.