Major Semi Final Results

September 2, 2018



Ourimbah                    42
Rob Peden, Tyler Jones, Owen Turner, Matt King, Jarrod Grange tries;
Jarrod Grange 4 conversions, 2 penalty goals;
Jaydn Pearson 1 penalty goal

Terrigal                       23
Conor Lowndes try,
Conor Lowndes 6 penalty goals


Gosford                       15
Josh McGlynn, Shay Neist tries;
Damien Montgomery 1 conversion, 1 penalty goal

The Lakes                     7
Mark Tipple try;
Lachlan Pryse-Jones 1 conversion


Ourimbah                    29
Saxon Lette 2, Alex Lucas, Nick Meyer, Mark Littlefield tries;
Jim Holt 2 conversions

The Lakes                     5
Seki Sevagone try

UNDER 19’s

Woy Woy                   23
Scott Ofahengaue, Atoni Reuelu tries;
Ben Austine 2 conversions, 3 penalty goals

Avoca Beach               22
Michael Houssenloge, Seb Eguia tries, 1 Penalty Try
Reece Jacobs 1 penalty goal;
Reece Piepers 1 conversion;


Woy Woy                   10
Sherridan Hulls, Aliyah Rodominski tries

Terrigal                         7
Sophie Dryden try;
Shenay Ball 1 conversion


Ourimbah defeated Terrigal in the Premier 1 Major Semi-Final at Woy Woy Oval by 42 points to 23. The match saw Ourimbah lead throughout the entire 80 minutes. They always appeared to be in control but Terrigal did stay in contact on the scoreboard for the majority of the match.
Ourimbah got away to a great start and they were over for a try within the opening 2 minutes of the match. Centre Owen Turner raced across for the opening try. This converted try saw Ourimbah leading by 7 points to nil after only a couple of minutes. This was quickly followed up by a penalty goal and this 10 points to nil lead was just the start that Ourimbah had hoped for. The next 20 minutes saw both teams make inroads but to little avail. Play went from one end of the field to the other and both teams had opportunities to score. Terrigal did get back into the match with three penalty goals to fullback Conor Lowndes. With the score at 10-9 at the 25th minute mark both teams knew they were still very much in this contest. Ourimbah were looking the more dangerous at this stage and threatened to score on several occasions. However various errors at the breakdown by Ourimbah saw Terrigal kick these penalty goals to keep them in the match. Around the 30 minute mark, in the 28th and the 34th minutes, Ourimbah surged ahead on the scoreboard. Ourimbah cemented a very handy lead when they scored a great try to No.8 Rob Peden, and then quickly followed it up with their third try to halfback Matt King. Suddenly the score had jumped to 22 points to 9 and the Ourimbah were certainly in the ascendancy at that stage. Terrigal kicked their fourth penalty goal right on halftime to reduce the lead. However the 22 points to 12 lead at the halftime break to Ourimbah saw them well in control. The opening minutes of the second half saw Terrigal convert two penalty goals. This enabled them to reduce the Ourimbah lead to 22 points to 18. Despite the fact that Ourimbah had scored 3 tries to nil, Terrigal were still very much in this match on the scoreboard. A great try to Tyler Jones in the 15th minute of this half saw Ourimbah further their lead to 29 points to 18. This was an excellent team try with some very good support play. Ourimbah had some very good performers in this match. None were better than No.8 Rob Peden, centres Owen Turner and Jarrod Grange, and flankers Craig Thomas and James Blanch. Ourimbah then kicked a penalty goal to lead by 32 points to 18 before Terrigal crossed for their lone try in the match. This try was scored by fullback Conor Lowndes who capped off a great match by scoring all of Terrigal’s 23 points. A wonderful effort. Ourimbah cemented a convincing victory near fulltime when their centre Jarrod Grange crossed for the team’s fifth try. Ourimbah had run out winners by 42 points to 23. Terrigal’s best players included flanker Mike Ozdillii, five-eight Mark Koteczky, and fullback Conor Lowndes. Terrigal will meet Woy Woy in next Saturday’s Preliminary Final. It was a great effort by the Ourimbah side and a well deserved win. Terrigal will go back to the drawing board and work hard this week to prepare for a tough clash against Woy Woy who are coming off a solid Minor Semi-Final win over Kariong.

The Premier 2 Major Semi-Final saw Gosford defeat The Lakes by 15 points to 7. This was an intense, hard fought match throughout. It was a physical clash and neither team would say die. The first half was a very even affair. Gosford were only able to break the nil all deadlock tight on halftime to go to the break leading by 5 points to nil. The Lakes took the lead in the second half through some solid play but it was Gosford who hit back soon after to secure the win. Both teams knew they were in a rugby match with some strong defence by both teams. Gosford head straight to the Grand Final while The Lakes will play Terrigal next Saturday.

The President’s Cup Major Semi-Final saw Ourimbah claim a relatively easy victory when they defeated The Lakes by 29 points to 5.  Ourimbah always appeared to be in control. They went to the halftime break leading by 12 points to nil and then were able to follow this up with a further 17 points in the second stanza. The Lakes did score a try near fulltime but it was all too late. The Lakes will play The Entrance in next Saturday’s Preliminary Final, while Gosford will prepare for the big one in a fortnight’s time.

In a see-sawing encounter, the Under 19’s Major Semi-Final resulted in Woy Woy kicking a penalty goal on fulltime to defeat Avoca Beach by 23 points to 22. Woy Woy had a very good first half and went to a deserved 17 points to 8 lead at the halftime break. Avoca Beach fought back in the second half to enable them to take the lead late in the match. However the penalty goal on fulltime saw Woy Woy snatch the single point win. Woy Woy are into the Grand Final and Avoca Beach will play Warnervale next Saturday.

The Women’s 7’s Major Semi-final was an even struggle from start to finish but it was Minor Premiers Woy Woy who hung on to defeat Terrigal by 10 points to 7. It was an exciting and hectic game of rugby with both teams putting on a pleasing game of 7’s rugby. Woy Woy have reached the Grand Final while Terrigal and Avoca Beach will meet each other next Saturday to see who has the right to go to the Grand Final.

Preliminary Final next week …………………
Woy Woy Oval               8th September   

10.00 am               Under 19’s                  Avoca Beach  v.         Warnervale

11.25 am                Women’s 7’s              Terrigal            v.        Avoca Beach

11.50 am                President’s Cup           The Lakes       v.         The Entrance

1.20 pm                     Premier 2                    The Lakes       v.         Terrigal

3.00 pm                     Premier 1                    Terrigal           v.         Woy Woy