Minor Semi-Final Results

August 26, 2018



Woy Woy                   21
Alifeleti Atiola 2, Fokolulu Taumololo tries;
Alex Moore 3 conversions

Kariong                       18
Brent Bovis, Henry Ahovelo tries;
Scott Hanley 1 conversion, 2 penalty goals


Terrigal                       22
Blake Cavanagh, Mackenzie Stevens tries; Penalty Try 1;
Conor Lowndes 1 conversion, 1 penalty goal

Ourimbah                      5

Rob Peden try


The Entrance              13
Tavita Vaoga try;
Andrew Danckert 1 conversion, 2 penalty goals

Terrigal                       11
James Pettit try;
Chris Brown 2 penalty goals

UNDER 19’s

Warnervale                 33
Jack Gray 2, Lachlan Natapu, Royce Smith, Tom Kaati tries;
Matthew Martin 4 conversions

Terrigal                       22
Nick Armstrong 2, Tom Kennedy tries;
Colin Sneyd 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal


Avoca Beach               36
Taylah Welsh 2, Elana Withnall 2, Summer Witt, Renee Staben tries;
Inge Visser 3 conversions

Warnervale                   5
April Radford try


In the Premier 1 Minor Semi-final at Woy Woy Oval, Woy Woy scored on fulltime to defeat Kariong by 21 points to 18. In a nail biting game both teams had periods of ascendancy but the result was not decided until the last few seconds of the match. Woy Woy have won their three clashes this year but all by the narrowest of margins. Kariong got away to a good start with a penalty goal in the opening 5 minutes of the match. The early stages of the match saw a seesawing match with both teams having periods of attack and defence. It was not long after that Woy Woy took the lead when their No.8 Alifeleti Atiola crashed over for the first of his two tries. The conversion of this try took Woy Woy to the lead by 7 points to 3 after only 10 minutes. The Woy Woy scrum was proving strong and definitely were putting the Kariong pack under constant pressure. The first 25 minutes was developing into a dour battle with neither team giving an inch. It was during this period that Kariong kicked a second penalty goal to reduce the Woy Woy lead to 7 points to 6 after 25 minutes. Kariong were probably having the better of play at this stage. Their backs were making inroads through the middle of the field, and five-eight Mitch Clay and winger Henry Ahovelo made some excellent individual runs. This dominance was rewarded in the 33rd minute when centre Brent Bovis crossed for a very good team try. The conversion of this try took Kariong to the lead by 13 points to 7. This was to remain the score at halftime so at that stage the match was very much up for grabs. Best players for Kariong at this stage were five-eight Mitch Clay, who was outstanding all match, lock Robert Brown, winger Henry Ahovelo and No.8 Blake Silvester. Kariong went further ahead only after a minute of the start of the second half. A break by Robert Brown saw winger Henry Ahovelo make a 50 metre run down the sideline to score a very exciting try. Kariong had jumped to a handy 18 points to 7 lead after only a minute of the second half. However they were not to score again in the match despite some good attacking play. Much of the second half was a real arm wrestle. Woy Woy were gradually gaining a certain ascendancy in general play and did control much of the territory and possession in the final 20 minutes of the much. They attacked constantly, trying to get back into the match but some stoic defence by Kariong kept them at bay. Woy Woy finally broke through when their No. 8 Alifeleti Atiola crossed for his second try adjacent to the posts in the 31st minute. The conversion of this try had reduced the Kariong lead to 18 points to 14. It certainly made the final 10 minutes a most intense and torrid affair. Woy Woy continued to attack but could not break through until very late in the match. Best players for Woy Woy during this period were No.8 Alifeleti Atiola, inside centre Fokolulu Taumololo, fullback Alex Moore and halfback Mitch Hyde. It was in the final seconds that Fokolulu Taumololo was able to cross for the match winning try. These two teams, over the 80 minutes, were so evenly matched and both teams deserved to come out victors. But it was Woy Woy who once again were able to get those final few points to snatch victory. It has been a great season for both teams, but it is Woy Woy who move on to the Preliminary Final in 2 weeks time.

Terrigal were able to outlast Ourimbah in Premier 2 when they won the Minor Semi-final by 22 points to 5. It was a dour battle throughout with both teams content to make it a mainly forward struggle. Terrigal had the better of the match both territorially and possession wise but the match seemed to be a series of rucks and mauls. However it was Terrigal who were able to wear the Ourimbah side down over the 70 minutes. Terrigal deserved the win. Both players for Terrigal were fullback Conor Lowndes, lock Phil Heard, while forwards Blake Cavanagh and Mackenzie Stevens were both rewarded with a try each. Best for Ourimbah were flanker Jack Sheean, No.8 Chris Smith and centre Iliese Cama. Terrigal only led by 7 points to nil at the halftime break but were able to cross for 2 tries in the second stanza to seal the win.

The Entrance were able to win the President’s Cup Minor Semifinal defeating Terrigal by 13 points to 11. There was absolutely nothing in this match from start to finish. The scores were locked at 6 points apiece at halftime so both teams knew a victory was on the cards. Both teams were able to score a try in the second half but it was the conversion of their try that saw The Entrance secure the win. Best players for The Entrance were fullback Andrew Dankert, who kicked that vital conversion, flanker Joel Laws and prop Drew Sutton. Terrigal played well but just fell at the last hurdle.

In what proved an intense game of rugby Warnervale defeated Terrigal in the Under 19 Minor Semifinal by 33 points to 22. Warnervale got away to a great start and it was not long before they had jumped to a 14 points to nil lead. They went to the halftime break leading by 19 points to 7 so everything seemed to be under control for Warnervale. However great play by the Terrigal team saw them catch up and take the lead midway through second half. Terrigal led by 22 points to 19 but two converted tries in the final 10 minutes saw Warnervale retake the lead and get the victory. It was an exciting game of rugby but it is Warnervale who continue on to the Preliminary Final.

The inaugural Finals match in Women’s 7’s rugby saw Avoca Beach prove too strong for Warnervale and ran out winners by 36 points to 5. Avoca Beach scored 6 tries to 1 and were always in control. Best players for Avoca Beach were Elana Withnall, Summer Witt and Inge Visser. Warnervale never stopped trying and were rewarded with a try near fulltime.

Major  Semifinal next week …………………

Woy Woy Oval               1st September   

10.00 am         Under 19’s                  Woy Woy       v.         Avoca Beach

11.25 am         Women’s 7’s              Woy Woy       v.         Terrigal

11.50 am         President’s Cup           Ourimbah        v.         The Lakes

1.20 pm         Premier 2                    Gosford           v.         The Lakes

3.00 pm         Premier 1                    Ourimbah         v.        Terrigal

Star 104.5
Wyong Rugby League Club Group
Alinta Sportswear
Central Coast Express Advocate