Minor Semi Final Results

August 27, 2017



Kariong                       33
Brandon Shillingsworth 2, Mitchell Clay, Jake Holwill, Lonny Clarke tries;
Scott Hanley 4 conversions

Warnervale                 27
Josh Holman, Tevita Moala, Daniel Ford, Mitchell Johnson tries;
Cameron McNamara 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal


The Lakes                   35
Zac Christensen 2, Sam O’Brien 2, Billy Lambert tries;
Lachlan Pryse-Jones 2 conversions, 2 penalty goals

Warnervale                 26
Kepu Faupula, Sam Heterick, Tom Patullo, Jacob Griffin tries;
Sione Tonga 3 conversions


Avoca Beach               27
Shaun Townsend 2, Dylan Hardaker, Steve Farrell tries;
Will Byrne 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Terrigal                       13
Josh Bridge, Daniel King tries;
Josh Bridge 1 penalty goal

UNDER 19’s

Terrigal                       25
Joel Vanderpoel 2, Will McDonald, Vaughan Kernan tries;
Jye Cornish 1 conversion, 1 penalty goal

Woy Woy                   14
Daniel MacLean, Daniel King tries;
Daniel MacLean 2 conversions


The Premier 1 Minor Semi-final at Woy Woy Oval saw Kariong defeat Warnervale by 33 points to 27. In what proved a see-sawing match, the lead changed several times throughout the 80 minutes and both teams did have their chances of gaining victory. Warnervale started the match very well and did control proceedings in the opening 10 minutes. They were soon rewarded with the opening try, scored in the corner by winger Daniel Ford. After that the match did level out and both teams had their periods of attack. However it was Warnervale who went further ahead with their second try. This try followed a forward surge which saw halfback Josh Holman cross over adjacent to the posts. The conversion of this try had taken Warnervale to a quite handy 12 points to nil lead and everything seemed to be going their way. Warnervale certainly had the better of the play for much of the opening 25 minutes but it was Kariong who surged back into recognition in the final 15 minutes of this half. They attacked consistently midway through the half and an effective backline movement saw fullback Jake Holwill cross in the corner. This was followed soon after by their second try, and suddenly the scores were locked at 12 points apiece. Warnervale did kick a penalty goal just prior to halftime to regain the lead by 15 points to 12. Suddenly the match was anyone’s, and both teams went to the halftime break with much optimism. It was very soon into the second half that Kariong took the lead for the first time in the match when, in the 6th minute, their winger Brandon Shillingsworth went in for the first of his two tries. However their lead of 19 points to 15 was very quickly reversed when Warnervale crossed for their third try. The score was Warnervale 20 Kariong 19 but with still almost 30 minutes to go, it was proving an exciting match for the spectators with both teams trying to make their vital breakthrough. At the 20 minute mark of this second half Kariong took the lead again, when their winger Brandon Shillingsworth picked up a loose ball, against the run of play, and raced 80 metres to score. It was certainly a key turning point in the match. Kariong had jumped to a 26 points to 20 lead which they were able soon able to increase when five-eight Mitch Clay crossed for their fifth try. As a result Kariong had gained a relatively comfortable 33 points to 20 lead with time running out. However Warnervale were not to be denied. They responded with a late converted try and with the score at 33 – 27, the final few minutes were hectic and very intense to say the least. However Kariong were able to hang for a meritorious win and they now proceed to the Preliminary Final in 2 weeks time. Best players for Kariong were five-eight Mitch Clay, who really did step up a notch in the second half, flanker Lachlan Peruch, who was everywhere in attack and defence, and No.8 Blake Silvester. Warnervale had several star performers, but none were better than five-eight Mitchell Johnson, halfback Josh Holman and winger Daniel Ford. Warnervale would be hugely disappointed with the result, but would also be very pleased with their efforts this year.

The Lakes came from behind to defeat Warnervale in Premier 2 when they won the Minor Semi-final by 35 points to 26. Warnervale had the better of the first half and went to the halftime break leading by 19 points to 10. They played very concerted and controlled rugby in the first half. Just when it seemed they had everything under control, it was The Lakes who finished the stronger. The Lakes scored early in the second half and were able to soon take the lead in the match. They were able to outscore Warnervale by 25 points 7 in the second stanza. It was a good win for The Lakes and they continue on to the Preliminary Final. Best for The Lakes were No.8 Zac Christensen and fullback Tom Cleary. Warnervale were best served by flankers Ethan Sant and Mark Fittler, and fullback Sione Tonga.

Avoca Beach were able to win the President’s Cup Minor Semi-final, defeating Terrigal by 27 points to 13. Terrigal had the better of the first half and went to the halftime break leading by 13 points to 8. They were definitely playing the better rugby, but it was at this point in the match that their pointscoring stopped. It was all Avoca Beach in the second half, and they were able to put on 19 points to Terrigal’s nil in the second period. It was definitely a match of two halves. Best for Avoca Beach were fullback Shaun Townsend and five-eight Dylan Hardaker. Terrigal’s best players were five-eight Jono Small and centre Stephen Bright. Avoca Beach will continue in the Finals Series while Terrigal’s season comes to a sudden halt.

In what proved an intense game of rugby Terrigal defeated Woy Woy in the Under 19 Minor Semi-final by 25 points to 14. This proved a quite close encounter throughout although Terrigal, after a slow start, were always that little bit ahead on the scoreboard, Woy Woy led early but when Terrigal took the lead midway through the first half they were never headed. Best for Terrigal were centre Vaughan Kernan, while hooker Daniel King never stopped for his Woy Woy team.