Preliminary Final Results

September 10, 2017




Terrigal                       67
Pat Niurua 3, Dan Sargeant 2, Martin Wahbe, Nathan Simpson, Sam Kenny, Josh Vainikolo, Sekope Maea, Frankie Webber tries;
Adam Danckert 4 conversions;
Aaron Tait 2 conversions

Kariong                         5
Brandon Shillingsworth try


Ourimbah                    19
Jack Sheean 3 tries;
Ryan Pike 2 conversions

The Lakes                     5
Kyle James try


Gosford                       20
Chris Heap, Adam Carlisle tries;
Damien Montgomery 1 conversion, 2 penalty goals;
Tim Hill 1 conversion

Avoca Beach               16
Daniel Ranson try;
Shaun Townsend 1 conversion;
Will Byrne 3 penalty goals

UNDER 19’s

Avoca Beach               17
Jobe Graham, Justin Gilmore tries;
Isaac Barnes 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Terrigal                         6
Jye Cornish 2 penalty goals


The Premier 1 Preliminary Final at Woy Woy Oval saw one of the biggest scores in Finals Rugby on the Central Coast. Terrigal were far too good for Kariong, running out winners by 67 points to 5. Kariong were never in the match, and Terrigal were able to dominate from the opening whistle. Terrigal came out with something to prove after their loss last week and started the match full of running. Within the opening 15 minutes of the match they had already crossed for three tries, and this lead of 17 points to nil was obviously never approached or headed for the remainder of the match. It was the start they required and they were controlling everything on the paddock. These 3 tries resulted from a great individual run by halfback Sekope Maea, a wonderful backline movement that saw winger Dan Sargeant score in the corner, and a forwards try that resulted in flanker Sam Kenny posting a five pointer. In that opening quarter of the match they had displayed their fill array of rugby skills. There was a flicker of hope for Kariong in the 22nd minute when their winger Brandon Shillingsworth showed some individual brilliance with a chip and chase to score a very good individual try. This made the score 17 points to 5 and Kariong supporters would have been hoping for a turnaround in what was happening on the field. But it was not to be. Terrigal were quickly on the attack again and were able to post another converted try before the halftime break. Terrigal led by 24 points to 5 at the break, and although not yet secure of victory, the way they were playing the end result did seem inevitable – and so it proved to be. Terrigal totally controlled the second half, posting a further 43 points in what proved a wonderful team performance. They crossed for a total of eleven tries in the match, and that difference of 11 tries to 1 really did demonstrate the difference between the two sides. Kariong never stopped trying but it was just not going to be their day. They were missing players, they were hit with injuries in the match, and all these factors, as well as Terrigal’s great rugby, saw Terrigal secure a spot in the 2017 Grand Final. Best players for Terrigal were flanker Sam Kenny, No.8 Josh Vainikolo, and prop Nathan Simpson, while all their backs were dangerous with the ball in hand. The Terrigal wingers, Dan Sargeant, Pat Niurua and replacement Martin Wahbe, crossed for 6 of the team’s 11 tries. Kariong had several good performers. Flanker Josh Bottero toiled all day, as did halfback Scott Hanley and No.8 Lachlan Peruch. Terrigal continue on and have a rematch with Ourimbah in next Saturday’s Grand Final – this is replay of last week’s Major Semi-final and that Grand Final will be as tight as that encounter proved. Kariong finish up for the year but despite this loss, can be well proud of their efforts this season in reaching the Preliminary Final.

Ourimbah defeated The Lakes in Premier 2 when they won the Preliminary Final by 19 points to 5. The match was quite even early on and it did take both teams quite some time to settle down. It was nil all for much of the first half and the deadlock was only broken right on halftime when Ourimbah scored and went to the halftime break leading by 7 points to nil. Both teams were definitely in this match and both teams knew they could win this. However it was Ourimbah who were able to stay in front and did score 3 tries to 1. A feature of the match was the fact that Ourimbah flanker Jack Sheean scored all 3 of his team’s tries. Ourimbah move into the Grand Final and meet Terrigal next Saturday. Like all the other matches on the day, it will be a repeat of the Major Semi-final.

In what proved a quite even match, Gosford won the President’s Cup Preliminary Final, defeating Avoca Beach by 20 points to 16. Gosford got away to a great start with a converted try in the opening seconds, but after that the match became a very even affair. The scores remained tight throughout this match however it was always Gosford just ahead on the scoreboard. They led by 13 points to 9 at the halftime break, and with both teams scoring a try each in the second stanza, there was never too much between the teams. Gosford do however move into the Grand Final in an attempt to win their third President’s Cup Premiership in a row.

In a display a great Finals rugby, Avoca Beach defeated Terrigal in the Under 19 Preliminary Final by 17 points to 6. It was a gritty match from start to finish and the skill level displayed by both teams was excellent. Terrigal opened the scoring with a penalty goal, but after that Avoca Beach were always just in front on the scoreboard. They led by 14 points to 6 at the halftime break, and with only a penalty goal kicked in the second stanza it was still anyone’s match right until the final stages of the clash. There was much movement back and forwards in the second half, but neither team was able to cross for a try in that 30 minute period. Avoca Beach move into the Grand Final next Saturday meet Minor Premiers Kariong in the big one.