Round 12 Results

June 28, 2016

SATURDAY, 2nd JULY, 2016

PREMIER 1 (bonus points in brackets)

Gosford                       36 (1)
Jarrod Christensen 2, Sam Underwood 2, Simote Lauti tries;
Tim Hill 4 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Ourimbah                      8
Tom Sheean try;
Jarrod Grange 1 penalty goal

Kariong                       22
Tom Clay 2, Stanley Mila tries;
Scott Hanley 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Woy Woy                    15 (1)
Wade Hannell, Iliesa Rokodraga tries;
Sione Toki 1 conversion, 1 penalty goal

Terrigal                        59 (1)
Sekope Maea 2, Josh Vainikolo 2, Daniel Hilton, Dylan Calabria, Mitch Hirst, Dan Sargeant tries; 1 Penalty Try
Aaron Tait 7 conversions

The Lakes                      0

Warnervale                  22 (1)
Brenton Acreman, Sione Ala, Vita Moala, Cameron McNamara tries;
Sione Ala 1 conversion

Hornsby                      20 (1)
Tevita Alipate, Harry Fox, Luke O’Neill tries;
Sam White 1 conversion, 1 penalty goal

Terrigal                        52
Ourimbah                    35
Kariong                       33
Gosford                       31
Woy Woy                    31
Avoca Beach               30
Warnervale                  16
The Lakes                      8
Hornsby                        6

PREMIER 2 (bonus points in brackets)
Gosford                       27 (1)   Ourimbah        19
Kariong                       29 (1)   Woy Woy        22
Warnervale                  67 (1)   Hornsby            0
Terrigal                        31 (1)   The Lakes        13

PRESIDENTS CUP (bonus points in brackets)
Woy Woy                    15        Kariong           14 (1)
Terrigal                        20        The Lakes        12
Avoca Beach               29 (1)   The Entrance     5

COLTS (bonus points in brackets)
Ourimbah                    36 (1)   Gosford             10
Warnervale                  26 (1)   Woy Woy           0
Terrigal                        10        Avoca Beach      8 (1)


In the Match of the Day Gosford scored another unexpected win when they defeated Ourimbah at Gosford Showground by 36 points to 8. In what was a very physical clash, it was hard fought from start to finish. Even though the scores got away in Gosford’s favour towards the end, it was a tight match for much of the 80 minutes.
Ourimbah opened the scoring in the first minute when their No.8 Jarrod Grange kicked a penalty goal. Gosford however were quick to respond with a good team try, when Sam Underwood crossed wide out. A very good conversion from near touch by centre Tim Hill saw Gosford jump to an early 7 points to 3 lead. The first 40 minutes saw a flowing match with both sides prepared to throw the ball around, and as a result the match certainly became an entertaining game of running rugby in the first half. Gosford went further ahead midway through the first half when a forward surge saw prop Simote Lauti cross for his team’s second try. The conversion saw Gosford leap to a very handy 14 points to 3 lead. This remained the score until the half time break. Both teams had some very good players in that first 40 minutes. Players that stood out for Gosford were five-eight Josh McGlynn, halfback Joel Wagner, hooker Vince Stewart and flanker Hugo Pike. Ourimbah also had some very good performers. The pick of these were prop Brett Cunningham, hooker Clint Guyatt, No.8 Jarrod Grange, and flanker Tom Sheean. The start of the second half saw Ourimbah straight onto the attack. They continually attacked the Gosford line and certainly had their chances. Dropped passes saw a few tries go begging. Good defence by Gosford was very handy but Ourimbah would rue their chances during this period. They did cross for one try to reduce the lead to 14 points to 8 and at that stage, the 55th minute mark, the game was certainly up for grabs. Gosford kicked a penalty goal at this stage to increase their lead by 17 points to 8, and with 20 minutes to go both teams knew they had the chance to win. However Gosford cemented the victory with two length of the field intercepts both against the run of play. Replacement winger Jarrod Christensen took both intercepts, racing 80 metres to score both tries under the posts. It was a heartbreaking way to end the match for the visitors but a win to Gosford that sees them sneak into the Top Four. The result certainly does open up the race for the Top Four with now 6 teams in the race for the important semi-final spots

In another top of the table clash, Kariong came from behind to defeat Woy Woy by 22 points to 15 at Kariong Oval. Unlike the above match, this clash was a tough, physical and very defensive game of rugby. Both teams displayed brilliant defence, and both attacks found it almost impossible to break through for vital points. Woy Woy had the slightly better of the first half and led by 15 points to 10 at the halfway mark. They had crossed for two tries and would have been very hopeful of going on with it to record the win. Woy Woy had several very good players during the match. These players included Wade Hannell, who continues to display great form, Nick Garnett, and Sione Toki. In the second half Woy Woy threw everything at the home side to increase their lead but simply could not break through. Woy Woy were unable to post any further points in the second stanza. This was mainly due to very good defence by the Kariong team. Kariong defended well and at the same time were able to score 12 points themselves in the final 40 minutes. Kariong were best served by fullback Mitch Clay, and locks Jake Smith and Stanley Mila. Despite the result both teams remain in the Top Four in what is developing into a ‘do or die’ battle for those final four spots in the Finals Series.

Warnervale just got home by 22 points to 20 to defeat Hornsby at Woongarrah Sports Field. In what was probably Hornsby’s best effort of the season, Hornsby could not hang on to a very good lead that they had built up in the first half. Hornsby got away to a wonderful start, and in fact led by 20 points to nil at one stage. Everything looked very good for them then. Warnervale did score a try right on the break to make the halftime score 20 points to 5, but they knew they had a real battle in the second stanza to get back onto the match, and they were able to do this. Warnervale were able to post a further 17 points to nil in the second half to snatch the win. It was a great effort by both teams on the day. Warnervale have had some good wins in recent weeks and will trouble all teams from now on until the end of the season, while Hornsby showed their season is far from over.

Terrigal continued on their winning ways when they comfortably defeated The Lakes  by 59 points to nil at Slade Park. Terrigal were always in control throughout the match. They were able to cross for a total of 9 tries in what proved a most convincing win. Terrigal led by 24 points to nil at halftime, and then scored a further 35 points in the second half of the match. The Lakes had no answer to their attack. Best player for Terrigal was centre Mitch Hirst.

Avoca Beach defeated The Entrance by 29 points to 5 at Heazlett Park in the Presidents Cup competition. In what proved an entertaining clash, the home side were in control for much of the match.