Round 15 Results

July 29, 2018

SATURDAY, 28th JULY, 2018


Ourimbah                    26 (1)
Corbin Walters, Toby Carver, Rob Peden, Brett Cunningham tries;
Jayden Pearson 3 conversions

Kariong                       19 (1)
Brent Bovis, Corey Holwill, Mitch Clay tries;
Scott Hanley 2 conversions

Woy Woy                   24 (1)
Jack Dewar 2, Alifeleti Atiola, Nat Watts tries;
Alex Moore 2 conversions

drew with
Avoca Beach               24 (1)
Adam Chettle, Matt Peebles, Pat Wheatley, Mitch Jacob tries;
Shaun Townsend 2 conversions

Terrigal                       34 (1)
Brent Merritt 2, Frankie Webber, Todd Atkins, Vaughan Kernan, Dan Sargeant tries;
Connor Lowndes 2 conversions

Hornsby                      12
Ben Ui, Ollie Jenkins tries;
Sam White 1 conversion

Warnervale                 27 (1)
Saavae Neli 2, Joey Walton, Mark Donald, Isaac Meehan tries;
Cameron McNamara 1 conversion

Gosford                       12
Sam Underwood, Drew Neist tries;
Damien Montgomery 1 conversion

PREMIER 2 (bonus points in brackets)
Ourimbah                    48 (1)  Kariong           24 (1)
Woy Woy                     8        Avoca Beach     7 (1)
Gosford                       49 (1)  Warnervale       7
Terrigal                       41 (1)  Hornsby            5

PRESIDENTS CUP (bonus points in brackets)
Woy Woy                   19        Avoca Beach   15 (1)
The Lakes                   14        The Entrance    8 (1)

COLTS (bonus points in brackets)
Avoca Beach               20 (1)  Ourimbah          0
Warnervale                 37 (1)  Terrigal           28 (1)

WOMEN (bonus points in brackets)
Avoca Beach               14        Woy Woy       12 (1)
Avoca Beach               21        Woy Woy       10
Terrigal                       10        Hornsby            5 (1)
Hornsby                      12        Terrigal           10 (1)
Warnervale                 20 (1)  Ourimbah          0
Warnervale                 20 (1)  Ourimbah          0


The Central Coast Rugby Union competition remains a closely fought affair with results yesterday making it no clearer on which teams will go into the Final Series at the end of the year. All matches were quite hard fought and no team went away with an easy win in their respective matches.

The Match of the Day saw Ourimbah maintain their successful run of victories when they defeated Kariong by 26 points to 19 at Kariong Oval. Ourimbah however certainly did not have it all their own way. Ourimbah did start very well and got away to an excellent lead. They controlled proceedings in the early stages and were the better team. This effective play enabled them to go to the halftime break leading relatively comfortably by 19 points to 5. It seemed at that stage that they would go on with it and cement another easy win. However it was not to be. The second half was a real arm wrestle with both teams throwing everything at each other. Kariong wanted a win and they played like it. They actually outscored Ourimbah in the second half by 14 points to 7 but time ran out in their efforts to get the win. Both teams played well. Ourimbah dominated the first half while Kariong showed their ability and spirit in the second half. Best players for Ourimbah were lock Matt Hopkins, forward Sam Kearney, and flanker James Blanch. Although Kariong outscored Ourimbah in that second period, Ourimbah did miss out on a lot of points through errors. The win sees Ourimbah maintain their big lead in the competition, while Kariong hang on to fourth spot still with a very possible spot on the cards for the Finals. It all makes for a very interesting last three weeks of the competition.

Avoca Beach and Woy Woy played out a 24 all draw at Heazlett Park. In some ways this was a fair result but probably neither team would think so. Both teams did control play at various stages but neither was able to go on with it and dominate the scoring. Woy Woy started the match so well. They were on the go forward right from the opening whistle. Within the first 12 minutes they had crossed for two excellent team tries, and had jumped to a very handy 14 points to nil lead. It appeared at that stage they would take charge based on how they were playing. The forward pack was strong and making several inroads into the Avoca Beach defence. However Avoca Beach was able to hit back and crossed for their own try soon after so at the midway point of the first half Woy Woy led by 14 points to 7. At that stage the match became a real arm wrestle with neither team able to gain any major ascendancy. Both teams had the opportunity to post points but vital errors at key stages prevented this. The two teams went to the half time break with Woy Woy leading by 14 points to 7. Avoca Beach started the second half very well. Within 5 minutes they had crossed for their second try and with the score at Woy Woy 14 Avoca Beach 12, the match was certainly up for grabs. Avoca Beach took control to some extent during the next 15 minutes when they were able to cross for two further tries. Suddenly they had jumped to a convincing 24 points to 14 lead and it seemed the home side would overcome their slow start to the match and get the win. However the final 10 minutes was controlled by Woy Woy. They crossed for a try in the corner, and then just before fulltime they were able to post their fourth try in the match. The conversion from near touch went wide, and the match was locked at 24 points apiece at fulltime. The draw sees Woy Woy maintain their third spot on the ladder but it makes things very difficult for Avoca Beach in the weeks to come. Best players for Woy Woy were No.8  Alifeleti Atiola, who made several strong runs, flanker Blake Arahill, lock Jack Dewar, and centre Wade Hannell. Avoca Beach were best served by No.8 Emile Thomas, while good performances by Mitch Jacob, Adam Chettle and Matt Pebbles were rewarded with a try each.

Warnervale scored a good win over Gosford at Gosford Showground by 27 points 12. Warnervale had the better of the first half and by halftime had built up a lead of 22 points to 7. It was this effort in the first half that secured them the victory. Warnervale played very well in that period. Their best players were Faava Neli, who crossed for 2 tries in the match, forward Kevin McNamara and five-eight Joey Walton. The second half was a far more even affair. Both teams were only able to score the single try in the final 40 minutes and this half of rugby developed into trench warfare. Gosford were best served in this period by Sam Underwood and Drew Neist. It was a welcome victory for Warnervale who had gone a long time between drinks.

Terrigal cemented their second spot on the competition ladder when they defeated Hornsby by 34 points to 12 at Mark Taylor Oval. The first half was a battle. Neither team was able to gain any real ascendancy in the first half. Terrigal went to the halftime break only leading by 10 points to 5 so both teams would have felt they were very much in this match. However the second half saw Terrigal take control. They were able to post a total of 24 points while the home side was only able to respond with a converted try. Both teams had their moments in this match. Best players for Terrigal were flanker Ryan Metcalfe, and wingers Brent Merritt and Dan Sargeant. For Hornsby, Ollie Jenkins and Sam White both put in solid performances once again.

The Entrance and The Lakes played out a tough match in President’s Cup at Joseph Banks Oval but it was The Lakes who scored right on the bell to secure the win by 14 points to 8.

The Women’s 7’s competition yesterday saw Avoca Beach, Terrigal, Hornsby, and Warnervale secure vital wins in their respective matches. Most of the teams are in a position to make the Finals, so there will be much intense action over the next few weeks.