Round 17 Results

August 13, 2017

SATURDAY, 12th August, 2017

PREMIER 1 (bonus points in brackets)

Terrigal                       45 (1)
Pat Niurua 2, Dan Sargeant, Daniel Hilton, Mitchell Hirst, Ryan Metcalfe, Frankie Webber tries;
Adam Danckert 5 conversions

Kariong                         5
Yulari Smith try

Ourimbah                    23
Matt King 2, Sam Kearney tries;
Ryan Fenning 1 conversion, 2 penalty goals

Woy Woy                   20 (1)
Mitch Hyde, Alex Moore tries;
Alex Moore 2 conversions, 2 penalty goals

Warnervale                 45 (1)
Jack Hogan, Daniel Ford, Simi Teekafa, Josh Holman, Mitchell Johnson, Scott Fitzpatrick, Atunaisa Turagabeci tries;
Mitchell Johnson 5 conversions

Hornsby                      14
John O’Donnell, Ivan Satu tries;
Sam White 2 conversions

Gosford                       34 (1)
Drew Neist 2, Shay Neist 2, Jackson Steinbeck, Caleb Tankard tries
James Sell 1 conversion;
Jack Shelley 1 conversion

The Lakes                   21
Semisi Saitadra 2, Chris Brady tries;
Henry Vonfui 2 conversions;
Nathan Brown 1 conversion

PREMIER 2 (bonus points in brackets)
Terrigal           90 (1) Kariong             3
Ourimbah        38 (1)  Woy Woy       30
Warnervale     56 (1)  Hornsby            0
The Lakes       32 (1)  Gosford             5

PRESIDENTS CUP (bonus points in brackets)
Terrigal           78 (1)  Kariong             0
Ourimbah        34 (1)  Woy Woy       14
Hornsby          17        Warnervale       7
Gosford           20 (1)  The Lakes         0
Avoca Beach   40 (1)  The Entrance    5

COLTS (bonus points in brackets)
Terrigal           25        Kariong           22
Avoca Beach   19        Woy Woy       17

Results in the Central Coast Rugby Union competition yesterday did not yet determine which teams will be making up the Top Four this year. It all comes down to the final round next Saturday.

The Match of the Day saw Terrigal prove to be far too good for Kariong at The Haven Oval. They ran out winners by 45 points to 5. Terrigal were immediately on top in this match and they had crossed for two tries within the opening few minutes. Terrigal were to continue this dominance throughout, and Kariong simply had no answer to the onslaught for the rest of the match. Terrigal went to the halftime break leading by 24 points to nil and even at that stage the end result seemed inevitable. Terrigal were controlling proceedings right across the field and were continually looking dangerous. Terrigal had several very good players. Flanker Sam Kenny was outstanding, especially in the first half, while his fellow flanker Ryan Metcalfe was in his usual great form. Halfback Sekope Maea was also dangerous, and centre Mitchell Hirst had one of his better games this season. It was an excellent all round performance by Terrigal and it simply showed why they are the form team in this competition this year and why they have remained undefeated. They will go into the Finals as Minor Premiers and it will take a very good team to topple them this year. It was not a good day for Kariong. They remain in the Top Four despite the loss but they will need to refocus very quickly if they are to keep that spot and if they are to be a force in the Finals. Their best performers on the day were lock Taylor Mildren, while the brothers, fullback Jake Holwill and prop Cory Holwill, never stopped trying despite the situation. Kariong know they need to win next Saturday to ensure their spot in the Top Four.

Ourimbah defeated Woy Woy by 23 points to 20 at Woy Woy Oval. It was a hard fought and tightly contested encounter throughout. There was never too much between the two teams and both had their periods where they led in the match. Ourimbah had slightly the better of the first half and went to the halftime break leading by 15 points to 10 but the result was still certainly up for grabs at the halfway point. Ourimbah had several very good players at this stage. Flanker Jarrod Grange was outstanding and was having one of his best matches this season. Hooker Clint Guyatt and prop Jordan Clark were also strong, while fullback Caleb Pritchard was continually showing pace and the ability to break the line. Woy Woy were suddenly back in the match straight after halftime when they crossed for a converted try to take the lead by 17 points 15. It was certainly to be a classic game of rugby with so much at stake. Woy Woy were playing some very constructive rugby and did have further chances to score further points. Best players for them were back Fokolulu Taumololo, prop Matt Graham, Kane Burns and Mitch Hyde. However the final stages of the match saw Ourimbah cross for their third try and this, with a penalty goal, were able to seal the victory. Ourimbah halfback Matt King was excellent as well and was rewarded with two tries. It was certainly a close match and the result could have gone either way. The wins sees Ourimbah into the Major Semi-final in 3 weeks time, while Woy Woy remain in the Top Four. It all comes down to next Saturday for Woy Woy.

Warnervale maintained their excellent late season form with a very good win over Hornsby. They won by 45 points to 14 at Woongarrah Oval. It was a critical victory for Warnervale and one that sees them one point outside the Top Four. They are so close to the Finals. Warnervale were able to control the match from start to finish. They led by 26 points to 7 at the halftime break and they were able to continue on with it for the final 40 minutes. They crossed for 7 tries to 2 and that was a very good indication of the flow of the match. The Warnervale backline was good and basically most of the backs were able to cross for a try. Best for Warnervale were five-eight Mitchell Johnston, who posted a personal tally of 15 points, halfback Josh Holman, and prop Simi Teekafa. Hornsby tried hard but it was not to be their day. It was their final match of the season and they would have hoped to have finished up with a closer result. But it has been a good year for the Hornsby Lions.

Gosford gained their first win in many weeks when they defeated The Lakes by 34 points to 21 at Gosford Showground. However they certainly did not have it all their own way. They never really got away from The Lakes on the scoreboard until the final stages of the match. It was certainly a helter skelter type of match with tries being scored from all over the field. Both teams were able to throw the ball around and it certainly made for an exciting game of rugby even though there was a lack of constructive play at many stages. Gosford led by only 17 points to 14 at the halftime break and both teams knew they had a chance of victory. Best players for Gosford were lock Chad Sneyd and winger Drew Neist, while best performers for The Lakes were centres Semisi Saitadra and Chris Brady.

Avoca Beach defeated The Entrance in the President’s Cup match at Heazlett Park Oval by 40 points to 5.