Round 3 Results

April 22, 2018

SATURDAY, 21st APRIL, 2018

PREMIER 1 (bonus points in brackets)

Terrigal                       22
Alex Brewin, Sekope Maea, Josh Cotter tries;
Aaron Tait 1 conversion, 1 penalty goal;
Mark Koteczky 1 conversion

The Lakes                     7
Paula Sautu try;
Logan Hemopo 1 conversion

Ourimbah                    38 (1)
Brett Cunningham, Josefa Biu, Matt Hopkins, Elekana Laupola, Matt King, Craig Thomas tries;
Jayden Pearson 4 conversions

Gosford                       17
Shay Neist 2, Al Lock tries;
Jack Shelley 1 conversion

Warnervale                 16
Mitch Riley try;
Cameron McNamara 3 penalty goals, 1 conversion

Kariong                       13 (1)
Brandon Shillingsworth try;
Ryan Wallbank 1 conversion, 2 penalty goals

Avoca Beach               50 (1)
Pat Wheatley 2, Matt Anderson, Blake Jacob, Dylan Cadogan, Luke Wiseman, Mitch Jacob, Emile Thomas tries;
Dylan Cadogan 5 conversions

Hornsby                      10
Mitch Pinchbeck try;
Sam White 1 conversion, 1 penalty goal

PREMIER 2 (bonus points in brackets)
Terrigal                       10        The Lakes         7 (1)
Ourimbah                    42 (1)  Gosford             7
Avoca Beach               41 (1)  Hornsby            0
Kariong                       36 (1)  Warnervale     12

PRESIDENTS CUP (bonus points in brackets)
Terrigal                       16        The Lakes       14 (1)
Ourimbah                    26 (1)  Gosford             7
Avoca Beach               20 (1)  Hornsby            0
The Entrance               22 (1)    Woy Woy         3

COLTS (bonus points in brackets)
Ourimbah                    20 (1)  Warnervale       0
Avoca Beach               17        Woy Woy         0


Another close series of matches saw the Central Coast Rugby Union competition become more and more interesting. All matches were reasonably tight even though the scores got away in a couple of the matches. The competition this year is developing into a very close one where all teams can get the win on the day.

The Match of the Round saw Terrigal defeat The Lakes by 22 points to 7 at Slade Park. It was a match of two halves where both teams gave it their all in an attempt to gain victory. The first half saw The Lakes start very well and was certainly putting the visitors under substantial pressure. In fact it was The Lakes who posted the first points and a converted try saw them take the lead by 7 points to nil after only 15 minutes. The Lakes were taking the match to Terrigal and were forcing the Terrigal side into several errors. Terrigal did however manage the storm and they themselves responded with a penalty goal before the halftime break. The Lakes went to the halftime break leading by 7 points to 3 and things were certainly looking very good for them. However Terrigal played very structured rugby in the second stanza and this controlled play enabled them to wear the home side down. Terrigal took the lead 10 minutes into the second half with a converted try and then were able to go on with it, posting another 2 tries in the remaining period of the second half. Best players for Terrigal were lock Alex Brewin, who never stopped all day, and inside centre Mark Koteczky, who was proving dangerous in attack and ended up scoring a try. Halfback Sekope Maea was also dangerous all day and was a wonderful link between his forwards and his backline. Both teams would be pleased with their efforts. Terrigal remain undefeated this season while The Lakes, despite the loss, are still the competition leader, and definitely proved they will be a definite force this year.

In a very close struggle at Kariong Oval, Warnervale were able to hang on for victory when they defeated Kariong by 16 points to 13. Warnervale got away to a very good start and had the better of the first half. They crossed for their only try in this half and they went to the halftime break leading by 10 points to 3. However both teams knew the match was far from settled at that stage. Once again Kariong had not got away to the start they wanted, and they had to claw their way back into the match. Kariong did this and close to fulltime had squared the match at 13 points apiece. However a penalty goal to Warnervale on fulltime saw Warnervale grab the win by 16 points to 13. For the second week in a row, Kariong had been pipped at the post. It was a battle from start to finish, and both teams suffered several injuries in the process. Best for Warnervale were fullback Mitch Riley, who crossed for a try, and five-eight Joey Walton and Cameron McNamara. Kariong had several very good players but none were better than flanker Josh Bottero and Blake Silvester. Warnervale have now got 2 wins from their 3 matches, while Kariong have been so close in all their three clashes but now realise they must get a win soon.

Ourimbah proved too strong for Gosford at Gosford Showground and ran out winners by 38 points to 17. The first half was quite an even struggle with neither team really able to assert any real dominance over the other team. Ourimbah got away to a brilliant start and crossed for their opening try within 2 minutes of the start of the match when lock Matt Hopkins crossed for their opening try. This 7 nil lead looked ominous for the home side. However the remainder of the first half was an arm wrestle and both teams were only able to cross for a single try each in the remaining period of the half. Ourimbah went to the halftime break leading by 12 points to 5 and both teams would have seen hope for a victory at that stage. However it was the opening 20 minutes of the second half where Ourimbah surged ahead. They were able to cross for a further 3 tries in that period and by midway through the half had jumped to a 31 points to 5 lead. At that stage the match was over but both teams never gave up. Gosford did cross for 2 late tries but it was all too late. Best players for Ourimbah were flanker James Blanch, fullback Jayden Pearson, and prop Jordan Clark. The centre pairing of Owen Turner and Craig Thomas were also very effective in both attack and defence. Gosford were best served by flanker Vince Stewart, five-eight Sam Underwood and centre Josh Reid. Ourimbah would be pleased to get back into the winner’s circle after last week’s loss, while Gosford realise they have much to do if they are to make an impact on the competition this year.

Avoca Beach remains undefeated when they defeated Hornsby by 50 points to 10 at Heazlett Park. Avoca Beach were always in control, both on the field and on the scoreboard. They went to the halftime break leading by 22 points to 3. They were then able to post a further 28 points in the second half to secure the win. Avoca Beach played well and really gave Hornsby no chance. The home side were best served by Dylan Cadogan, who posted 15 individual points, Pat Wheatley, Matt Anderson and Luke Wiseman. Hornsby hung in there and never stopped for the full 80 minutes.  Their best players were Mitch Pinchbeck, who crossed for their try, Toby Forde and Sam White. Avoca Beach have had a very good start to the season, while Hornsby will definitely be looking forward to their first home match after playing the first three rounds away from home.

The Entrance scored their first win of the season when they defeated Woy Woy by 22 points to 3 at Joseph Banks Oval. It was their best effort of the season and one they full deserved.