Round 3 Results

August 2, 2020

SATURDAY, 1st August, 2020

PREMIER 1 (bonus points in brackets)

Terrigal                        36 (1)
Ethan McInnes 3, Andrew Gowling, Daniel Sargeant tries;
Jye Cornish 4 conversions, 1 penalty goal

The Lakes                   24
Macui Rauluni, Tim Poese, Barcelona Lupematasila tries;
Logan Hemopo 1 conversion, 3 penalty goals

Hornsby                      19
Jack Woodrow, Ivanho Satuala, Tevita Alipate tries;
Siona Ala 2 conversions

Warnervale                    5
Brennan Jaymz try

Ourimbah                    40 (1)
Rob Peden 2, Tom Sheean, Jack Stonestreet, Jimmy Cunynghame, Josefa Biu tries;
Daniel Jones 5 conversions

Gosford                       14
Jackson Steinbeck, Jonah Manuao tries;
Ben Shelley 2 conversions

Woy Woy                    20
Joel Frazer, Hesekaia Pola’Ulu tries;
Alex Moore 2 conversions, 2 penalty goals

Kariong                       15 (1)
Sione Pepa, Nic Outram tries;
Lachlan Peruch 1 conversion;
Aiden Chambers 1 penalty goal

PREMIER 2 (bonus points in brackets)
Terrigal                        31 (1)   The Lakes       14
Kariong                       29 (1)   Woy Woy        10

PRESIDENTS CUP (bonus points in brackets)
Terrigal                        26 (1)   The Lakes         7
Woy Woy                    20 (1)   Kariong             0
Warnervale                  36 (1) Hornsby            5
Ourimbah                    33 (1)   Gosford           12
COLTS (bonus points in brackets)
The Lakes Maroon      25 (1)   Hornsby            7
The Lakes Gold          31 (1)   Woy Woy          0
Avoca Beach               24 (1)   Gosford             5

WOMEN (bonus points in brackets)
Woy Woy                    46 (1)   Kariong             5
Hornsby                      22 (1)   Warnervale      10


The Central Coast Rugby Union season continued with some excellent games of rugby played across the coast yesterday. All matches were very close at halftime, and even though some teams got away on the scoreboard in the second half, all games were not decided until that vital final quarter of the match.

In the Match of the Day, Terrigal finished too strong to defeat The Lakes by 36 points to 24 at The Haven Oval. It was a tense match throughout with both teams played some enthralling rugby. Terrigal took the early lead in the match with a converted try and were never headed on the scoreboard. But there was never too much in it in the first 40 minutes. In fact the two teams were locked at 14 points apiece at the halftime break. It was 14-8 to Terrigal midway through the first half, and then 14-11 before The Lakes kicked a further penalty goal on halftime time to level the scores at the break. The match was certainly up for grabs at that stage. Terrigal were able to take a certain amount of control early in the second half when they were able to cross for two relatively quick tries. This jumped Terrigal to a significant 26 points to 14 lead which The Lakes were not able to overcome. Terrigal had several good players, but none were better than hooker Ethan McInnes, who crossed for 3 individual tries, lock Joe Taylor, and five-eight Jye Cornish. The Lakes were best served by fullback Macui Rauluni, prop Tim Poese and hooker Zac McGuiness. The match certainly showed why Terrigal are the early Premiership favourites but also showed that The Lakes will be close to the action on the final day of the competition this year.

Hornsby also demonstrated they are in for a successful season when they accounted for Warnervale by 19 points to 5 at Woongarrah Oval. The first 40 minutes was evens stevens. There was only the one converted try to Hornsby in that period and the visitors went to the halftime break leading by the slender margin of 7 points to nil. Both teams threw everything at each other in the second half and both had chances to post points. However it was Hornsby who gradually crept further ahead on the scoreboard. They were able to cross for a further two tries and well into the half were able to secure a winning lead of 19 points to nil lead. Warnervale scored late in the half to post their first points but it was all too late. This was a tough match with very little between the two teams. Best for Hornsby were No.8 James McCarthy, who continued his great form, five-eight Sione Ala and hooker Hosea Fotukava. The home side were best served by hooker Kye Haslem, fullback Mitch Riley and flanker Harry Sexton.

Ourimbah proved too strong for Gosford at Gosford Showground, running out winners by 40 points to 14. The end result was a comfortable victory for the Ourimbah team but they certainly did not have it all their own way. Gosford got away to a great start with an early converted try in the first few minutes of the match. But it was not long before Ourimbah squared it all up with their own converted try. Gosford may have had the better of the territory in the first 40 minutes but were unable to break through the strong Ourimbah defence. In fact the visitors took the lead to halftime when they crossed for their second converted try and led by 14 points to 7 at the halftime break. It was proving a quite exciting game of rugby with plenty of action from one end of the field to the other. Midway through the second half, with both teams having posted a further converted try each, Ourimbah led by only 21 points to 14. But it was the final quarter of the match that proved the difference in the two teams. Ourimbah was able to cross for three late tries to seal a very meritorious win. Gosford were in this match for 60 minutes but could not handle the Ourimbah onslaught in the final 20 minutes. Ourimbah had retained the Thomson-Brown trophy for another year. Best for Ourimbah were No.8 Rob Peden, who crossed for two tries, five-eight Daniel Jones, who directed play so efficiently all game, and inside centre Kaituu Kaufana. Best for Gosford were No.8 Sean Anzelark and halfback Ben Shelley. Ourimbah proved they are in for a good season while Gosford will definitely trouble all teams in the remaining six rounds.

Woy Woy came from behind to defeat Kariong at Woy Woy Oval by 20 points to 15. There was nothing in this clash throughout, both on the paddock and on the scoreboard. Woy Woy opened the scoring with an early penalty goal before Kariong took the lead with a try. The first half was an intense affair with neither team giving an inch. Kariong went to the halftime break by the narrow lead of 12 points to 10. There was absolutely nothing in the match at that stage. There was a long injury break in the second half but with play continuing, the same intensity continued. The lead continued to change regularly in the final 20 minutes. Woy Woy took the lead 13-12, then Kariong 15-13, before Woy Woy scored a try near fulltime to secure the victory. Best players for Woy Woy were No.8 Lapana Vitale, flanker Joel Frazer and centre Junior Stowers, while for Kariong flanker Mitchell Parker, in his initial top grade match, lock Nic Outram and five-eight Mitch Clay gave it their all for the entire 80 minutes.

Women’s 10’s rugby continued with two excellent matches. Hornsby accounted for Warnervale, while Woy Woy had a big win over Kariong.