Round 3 Results

April 19, 2016

SATURDAY, 16th APRIL, 2016

PREMIER 1 (bonus points in brackets)

Ourimbah                    26 (1)
Owen Turner 2, Apisai Vatubuli, Alex Dark tries;
Adam Williams 2 conversions;
Anthony Eriksson 1 conversion

Gosford                       25 (1)
Josh McGlynn try;
Hugo Pike 6 penalty goals, 1 conversion

Woy Woy                    46 (1)
Lapana Vitale 3, Josefa Kunawave 2, Dan Naivalu, Iliesa Rokodraga tries;
Alex Moore 1 penalty goal, 3 conversions;
Sione Toki 1 conversion

Kariong                       17
Ryan Walbank, Shannon Beavan tries;
Scott Hanley 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Hornsby                      29 (1)
Mitch Fullager 2, Harry Fox, Ed Mills, Kalefonua Halifonua tries;
Sam White 2 conversions

Warnervale                  10
Brennan Wanstall, Tevita Moala tries

Terrigal                        32 (1)
Dan Sargeant, Alex Carver, Alec Herridge, Dylan Calabria, Michael Beckers tries;
Aaron Tait 2 conversions, 1 penalty goal

The Lakes                      8
Dillon Rinn try;
Bill Moroney 1 penalty goal

Ourimbah                    15
Terrigal                        15
Woy Woy                    10
Avoca Beach                 9
Gosford                        5
Hornsby                        5
The Lakes                     1
Kariong                        0
Warnervale                   0

PREMIER 2 (bonus points in brackets)
Ourimbah        15                    Gosford           12 (1)
Woy Woy        33 (1)               Kariong           10
Hornsby          25 (1)               Warnervale      12
Terrigal            21                    The Lakes        15 (1)

PRESIDENTS CUP (bonus points in brackets)
Woy Woy        40 (1)               Kariong             7
The Lakes        38 (1)               Terrigal            10
Warnervale      19                    Hornsby          14 (1)
The Entrance   12                    Avoca Beach     5 (1)

COLTS (bonus points in brackets)
Ourimbah        26 (1)               Gosford           12


The 2016 Central Coast rugby season continued with some very tight matches and a pleasing standard of rugby. The Match of the Day at Ourimbah Rugby Park saw Ourimbah score in the final moments of the match to defeat Gosford by 26 points to 25. It was an even struggle throughout but Ourimbah did score 4 tries to one to seal the victory.
The first half saw play move from end of the field to the other while the scoreboard was also changing regularly throughout the first 40 minutes. Gosford opened the scoring with a penalty goal to flanker Hugo Pike, but it was not long before Ourimbah had replied with their first try. Ourimbah had taken the lead and increased that lead to 14 points to 9 at the midway point of the first half. Gosford then did score their only try of the match when their centre Josh McGlynn crossed for a converted try, for Gosford to grab the lead by 16 points to 14. A further penalty goal to Gosford saw them go into the halftime break leading by 19 points to 14. However it did not take long for Ourimbah to square up the match. Ourimbah scored a try soon after the break to make the scores 19 apiece. The match was certainly developing into a very intense struggle with both teams having further opportunities to post points. Gosford kicked two further penalties for them to take the lead by 25 points to 19. This remained the score for quite awhile. Ourimbah were desperately trying to bridge the gap with continual attacks and also several lost chances. Good Gosford defence did keep them out for a long period. Ourimbah had several good players. None were better than prop Apisai Vatubuli, centre Alex Dark, and flanker Owen Turner, who crossed for 2 tries. Gosford played quite well, and were best served by flanker Hugo Pike, whose kicks at goal kept Gosford in the match, lock Mitch Cornwell, and halves Joel Wagner and Sam Underwood. It was Ourimbah who secured the win in the final minute when they crossed for a converted try to take the lead and the match 26-25. It was an exciting match for those in attendance, and both clubs will take a lot from the match.

Woy Woy christened their newly revamped Woy Woy Oval with an efficient victory over Kariong by 46 points to 17. In front of a big crowd, it was Woy Woy who controlled proceedings for much of the match. The match started with Kariong doing most of the attacking. They camped themselves in Woy Woy’s territory but they simply could not make any impact on the scoreboard. In fact it was Woy Woy who opened the scoring with a penalty goal to their fullback Alex Moore, for Woy Woy to lead by 3 points to nil. Woy Woy continued to attack and before long had crossed for a further 2 tries to take the lead by 15 points to 3 at the midway point of the first half. Kariong had been able to kick a penalty goal early on to their halfback Scott Hanley. Woy Woy increased their lead to 22 points to 3 by the halftime break. Woy Woy were now in control, both of play on the paddock and as a result on the scoreboard. Kariong were giving it all but they were unable to break through. Woy Woy had several very good players. Flanker Lapana Vitale was outstanding, and he crossed for 3 individual tries in the match. He was very well supported by Joseva Kunawave and Kane Burns. Kariong were best served by Captain Coach Shannon Beavan, prop Cory Holwill and half Scott Hanley. Woy Woy continued to dominate in the second half and had jumped to a winning lead of 36 points to 3 before Kariong were able to respond with their first try. Kariong did cross for two tries in the last quarter of the match, but so did Woy Woy, for the home team to maintain their lead. It was an excellent win by Woy Woy and it capped off a great day for the Woy Woy club at their new ground. Kariong were very competitive despite the score line, and they will trouble many teams before this season is over.

Terrigal continued on their winning way when they recorded a 32 points to 8 win over The Lakes at The Haven Oval. Terrigal did run out comfortable winners, and they did score 5 tries to one, but they did not have it all their own way, especially in the first half of the match. In fact at halftime, Terrigal only led by 5 points to 3 and the match at that stage was certainly up for grabs. The first half saw a real arm wrestle with both teams having opportunities to post points but unable to do so. However the second half was a different story. Terrigal were able to cross for 4 tries in the final 40 minutes, while the visitors were only able to respond with one.  Best players for Terrigal were flanker Alex Carver, who crossed for 2 tries, fullback Dan Sargeant and forward Sam Kenny. The Lakes put in a great team effort and they also will trouble many teams as this season progresses.

Hornsby notched up their first win of the season when they defeated Warnervale by 29 points to 10 at Mark Taylor Oval. This match was hard fought and quite even despite Hornsby getting away on the scoreboard late in the match. Both teams gave it their all in the first half but it was Hornsby who went to the halftime break leading by 17 points to 5. It seemed at that stage that Hornsby were in control and would go on to win. That did happen, but not before a real struggle occurred. Warnervale got right back into the match after halftime when they scored their second try. This made the score 17 points to 10 and both teams knew they had chances to get the victory. This remained the score for quite awhile however it was the home side who cemented the win with two late tries. Best players for Hornsby were Mitch Fullager, who crossed for 2 tries, Harry Fox and Ed Mills. Best players for Warnervale included hooker Rhys Sexton, No.8 Tevita Moala, and centre Sione Tonga. Hornsby have their first win of the year and will be excited about that, but both teams put in very good efforts in this match and will take a lot from it.

In the President’s Cup, The Entrance and Avoca Beach played out a hard fought match at Joseph Banks Oval. The Entrance were able to secure their first win of the season when they won by 12 points to 5.